Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

O'Hara's range back in the 5 for €10 deal in Tesco

There was a shelf full of pale ale at lunch in Dundrum. 1 left after work (which made up one of my 5!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

O'Hara's range back in the 5 for €10 deal in Tesco

There was a shelf full of pale ale at lunch in Dundrum. 1 left after work (which made up one of my 5!)

Might try tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

So much to choose in special offer at Tesco this evening, I'm not sure where to start.

I was thinking of maybe starting with London Pride, Honey Dew, or maybe even a mix as I have never had either and both seemed mentioned here more than once.

Any reason not to mix different types of beers? What are your favourites on special at Tesco at the moment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

My personal favourites in the special at the minute are all Irish.

Whitewater's Clothworthy Dobbin, O'hara's Pale Ale and Leann Follain would be my top 3 in the offer.

Fullers Black Cab is nice, as is Whitewater's Belfast black, J.W. Lee's Moonraker is a lovely beer for a chilly evening, a big beer at 6.5 abv but you could drink a few of them before you realised it! Hobgoblin is nice too....

Seaneh wrote: »
    My personal favourites in the special at the minute are all Irish.

Whitewater's Clothworthy Dobbin, O'hara's Pale Ale and Leann Follain would be my top 3 in the offer.

Fullers Black Cab is nice, as is Whitewater's Belfast black, J.W. Lee's Moonraker is a lovely beer for a chilly evening, a big beer at 6.5 abv but you could drink a few of them before you realised it! Hobgoblin is nice too....

Damn it! So much to choose from but I guess that's a good thing! I'll be like a kid in a sweet shop.

• Advertisement

dusf wrote: »
    Damn it! So much to choose from but I guess that's a good thing! I'll be like a kid in a sweet shop.

No reason to just stop at the 5 ;)

Bought six beers last night but unfortunately only one Hobgoblin.

This is a ruby beer that I had never tasted before, and I just want to recommend it to anyone who also has not tasted it.

€1.99 a pop at your local Tesco.

This is a ruby beer that I had never tasted before, and I just want to recommend it to anyone who also has not tasted it.

Quite nice alright

Quite nice alright

Any other beers there you could recommend?

I mistakenly bought a few bottles of whatever beer they have that's similar to Franziskaner Heffe, milky to the eye and far too sweet to the taste for my liking.

Are all wheat beers like that?

People have mentioned O'Hara's, and I almost bought some until I read it was stout.

Is it like Guinness stout then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I mistakenly bought a few bottles of whatever beer they have that's similar to Franziskaner, milky to the eye and far too sweet to the taste for my liking. I think they are wheat beers.

People have mentioned O'Hara's, and I almost bought some until I read it was stout.

Tbh, you're going to get varied recommendations here. So my advice to you would be to just avail of the 5 for €10 offer and buy a few different ones and just make up your own mind. :)

That said, Proper Job is a recent addition and it's top notch. ;)

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Tbh, you're going to get varied recommendations here. So my advice to you would be to just avail of the 5 for €10 offer and buy a few different ones and just make up your own mind. :)

That said, Proper Job is a recent addition and it's top notch. ;)

I'll look out for Proper Job, and I take your point about trying beers for myself, but if I find Franziskaner and the other wheat beer from Tesco I tried last night both disgusting (although I of course drank them all :) ), it might be a good idea for me just to avoid wheat beer entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭donnacha

have always it out of the bottle. ended up drinking a fair bit on cask at deveneys beerfestival on saturday - it was the winner of the night for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I mistakenly bought a few bottles of whatever beer they have that's similar to Franziskaner Heffe, milky to the eye and far too sweet to the taste for my liking.

Are all wheat beers like that?

If you're picking 5 for a tenner in Tesco, try O' Hara's Leann Follain-their choc stout and even if you're not into wheat beers, try Arcobräu Dunkel, a dark wheat beer. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Does anyone know if the Porterhouse beers are still going for €1.50 in any Tescos round Dublin now that the 5 for €10 is back, or has that finished for good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Focalbhach wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Porterhouse beers are still going for €1.50 in any Tescos round Dublin now that the 5 for €10 is back, or has that finished for good?

I've seen them for €1.50 in Clare Hall.

Haven't been Galway Tesco for ages :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Tesco Dundrum now has more or less the full range of the 5 for €10 beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Picked up a few things from the 5 for €10 range in Tesco Maynooth; Clotworthy Dobbin, Courage Directors, Wells Banana Bread Beer and River Cottage Stinger.

Haven't had them all yet but the Stinger was surprisingly nice, worth a look into!

Also did anyone spot the Erdinger Oktoberfest pack that Supervalu had in their weekly deals pamphlet a few weeks ago? I went down to my local but they didn't have it, not even on the day one of the staff told me they'd be getting another order in on. Really wanted that glass, hahah. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

McHughs have the Oktoberfest pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

got the 5 for 10euro offer in tesco phibsborough,had trouble buying them as the women(pair of them) behind the counter tried to charge me full price,i said about the offer,they first said that you cant mix and match,it has to be the same bottles,i then informed them i have mixed and matched the 5 for 10 beers loads in their shop..so they tried telling me then that the beer i was getting was not in the offer so i brought them over to show them the yellow stickers where the beers were that clearly stated the beers in question were in the deal!

i have had trouble in there before with the women when buying these beers,they dont have a clue what they areselling,the lads who work in there are grand,always able to tell you about offers and stuff coming into store!

ended up getting a bottle free after protestin!so im gona enjoy this free bottle of clotworthy dobbin!!

• Advertisement

flas wrote: »
    got the 5 for 10euro offer in tesco phibsborough,had trouble buying them as the women(pair of them) behind the counter tried to charge me full price,i said about the offer,they first said that you cant mix and match,it has to be the same bottles,i then informed them i have mixed and matched the 5 for 10 beers loads in their shop..so they tried telling me then that the beer i was getting was not in the offer so i brought them over to show them the yellow stickers where the beers were that clearly stated the beers in question were in the deal!

i have had trouble in there before with the women when buying these beers,they dont have a clue what they areselling,the lads who work in there are grand,always able to tell you about offers and stuff coming into store!

ended up getting a bottle free after protestin!so im gona enjoy this free bottle of clotworthy dobbin!!
    You should send an email to the manager complaining.

All the women had to do was to scan the bottles in and the discount would've been automatically applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Same happened to me in Tesco Clearwater in Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You should send an email to the manager complaining.

All the women had to do was to scan the bottles in and the discount would've been automatically applied.

Well that's the way most of those grocery retail shops are run. The blokes do most of the hard labor on the shop floor then you have the checkout girls who never leave their seat and don't know what's on special or what they have stocked*.

This happened to me before, but I eventually got them to move and got it sorted.

*in most cases I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

When I buy the 5 for 10€ in my local Tesco, I just use the self-scanning tills and they always deduct the savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Superquinn have added to their 6 for 5 deal. They now have Dungarvan Black Rock Stout and Galway Hooker. I picked up 6 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

KJ wrote: »
    Superquinn have added to their 6 for 5 deal. They now have Dungarvan Black Rock Stout and Galway Hooker. I picked up 6 today.

I was in Superquinn Ballinteer last Saturday and they were very understocked with many of the normal beers on offer missing. Unusual and hopefully a one-off.

McCambridges in Galway now have Dungarvan beers at 4 for a tenner.

You can mix and match with the O'Hara's range too, which are also 4 for a tenner.

I'm in Galway tomorrow night. Suggestions?

Salt House.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Salt House.

Seems to be the main one alright. That and Oslo. Cheers.

Also, I think I put this in the wrong thread.....whoops! :o

Advertisement