Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doyles hardware closed for lunch?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 2:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Took an extended lunch break today to get much needed supplies from the hardware store.

Low and behold Doyles had the whole place and car park closed for lunch. :eek:

Considering the amount of people that would do their shopping during their lunch hour I was absolutely flabbergasted that Doyles would shut their doors during rush hour.

I ended up having to shop in a non-Irish hardware store. :mad:

Is this a common trait around Carlow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I hadn't heard of Doyles closing for lunch before but the main Hardware shop that I use is Dempseys in town centre (I recently built a house and got everything from them for it) and I know that they close for lunch 1-2 but they have always closed for lunch and most people around town are aware of it from what I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I've been in Doyle's over lunch several times in the no too distant past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

testicle wrote: »
    I've been in Doyle's over lunch several times in the no too distant past.

Me too, hence my surprise.

Edit : Just heard that Connollys in B'Town also now closes for lunch. Must be a new Topline directive.....fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

almighty1 wrote: »

Edit : Just heard that Connollys in B'Town also now closes for lunch. Must be a new Topline directive.....fantastic.

Doyle's has definitely been closed for lunch lately on at least 2 occasions when I've been in. Dempsey's has always done it and I could never understand it. I know times are hard and maybe they are trying to cut costs but for 9-5ers it's really the only time to get the bits and pieces during the week. I'd have thought they would certainly lose business from this move. Hire section in Doyles also closed permanently afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Doyles have been closing 1-2 for about 4 weeks now -
    And apparently is a decision made by Doyles, not Topline -
    I was moaning in the shop about it, reason given was that they had to have extra staff in to cover lunch times, and these had to be staggered from 12 to 2 to cater for this.
    I'm still amazed by this, cannot fathom it at all - they have to be losing more than just lunchtime business over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

jay gatsby wrote: »
    Hire section in Doyles also closed permanently afaik.

Hire shop is now situated inside the main store, where the sales office used to be. New sales office constructed about 4 months ago when sales area of shop was re-structured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

This only started happening recently. It is really annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Its part and parcel of the down-sizing in all businesses today.

To stay open during lunch hour , it means that there may be staff shortages between the hours of 12-1 and 2-3 .

Don't be surprised to see the opening hours reduced , and indeed the working week reduced too , as times get tougher .

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shinnie0503

Took an extended lunch break today to get much needed supplies from the hardware store.

Low and behold Doyles had the whole place and car park closed for lunch. :eek:

Considering the amount of people that would do their shopping during their lunch hour I was absolutely flabbergasted that Doyles would shut their doors during rush hour.

I ended up having to shop in a non-Irish hardware store. :mad:

Is this a common trait around Carlow?

Was in Doyle's today and they are now open during lunch times. Open from 8.30 am to 6.00 pm straight through

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its been like that for a while.

Please don't bump old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement