Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who needs Trolls.....

Options
  • 23-06-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

....when you've got Mods like Micky Dolenz. I'm referring specifically to this thread that I started yesterday. I was looking for some advice/help. And to be fair most of the posters were very helpful and wished me luck. However some tried to derail the thread with off topic comments. Now I know this is to be expected in AH so I made a point of saying if people had nothing useful to post them maybe you're better off not posting anything as I didnt want the thread derailed.

So you can understand why I found it even more annoying when a Mod seemed to think they had the right to do whatever they liked in the thread. First Micky accused me of being a cheater when I asked the thread be kept on topic:
    Look at me look at me, help me cheat.

As I said I wasn't looking to cheat. I would have been happy to use my own annual leave to go. But thats not possible. I have given the company I work for my all up until now so I think for once I deserved to put myself first.

Then he tried to derail the thread with off topic chat even though I had specifically asked this not be done:
    You should never have went solo. It must have been murder hanging with those lads, but ye worked good together.

You very often see posters and Mods here in Feedback complaining about the reputation After Hours has across other forums on Boards. But is it any wonder when it has Mods who themselves are not better than Trolls.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Why didn't you post your issue in the Work&Jobs forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Stark wrote: »

I honestly didnt even realise there was a Work&Jobs forum until someone pointed it out to me yesterday. But why cant people ask for genuine help in AH? And why do some people feel the need to post childish, off topics comments and then complain about the bad reputation AH has on Boards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Now I know this is to be expected in AH so I made a point of saying if people had nothing useful to post them maybe you're better off not posting anything as I didnt want the thread derailed.

You were backseat modding?

Seriously though, did you actually PM the guy to discuss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Stark wrote: »

I honestly didnt even realise there was a Work&Jobs forum until someone pointed it out to me yesterday. But why cant people ask for genuine help in AH? And why do some people feel the need to post childish, off topics comments and then complain about the bad reputation AH has on Boards?

AH isn't for genuine help. Even if you didn't know about the works and jobs forum, what about Personal Issues? You talk about the bad reputation that AH supposedly has. Well then you should have known better. I'm sure if you had any doubts about what sort of response you'd get from AH, a quick PM to one of the mods and they probably could have directed you to the right forum.

As I have said most of the posters were very helpful and Im grateful for that. My issue here is that a Mod was one of the biggest culprits for trying to derail the thread. To me, that was a fairly sh!t example to be setting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

As I have said most of the posters were very helpful and Im grateful for that. My issue here is that a Mod was one of the biggest culprits for trying to derail the thread. To me, that was a fairly sh!t example to be setting.

Are mods not allowed to make jokes in threads? Caus thats all this post was:
    Look at me look at me, help me cheat.

Other posters were making similar jokes against your post to keep on topic yet you havent complained against them.

You were still getting useful answers. If the thread had gone completely off-topic then either himself or one of the other mods would have asked to get back on topic.

Keith, with the "Cheat" comment by Micky, he actually quoted my post about not wanting the thread to go off topic. To me this seemed like nothing but pure ignorance. How can regular posters be expected to stay on topic when a Mod wont even do so? Thats why I have an issue with Micky's posts more so than those other few who also tried to derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But, Micky's comment wasn't off-topic. It was related to your post.

And you're the one who wanted it to remain on-topic, but that's not really your call to make. Like I said, AH is not that kind of forum.

From the AH Forum Charter:
    What is After Hours?
    After hours consists of the type of chat you have with your mates after a few pints at a lock in. You might disagree and argue your side, but if you get rowdy, the barmans gonna kick you out, so keep it civil. Typical subjects are anything thats in the days news, a funny story you heard, and terrible jokes and puns. Sometimes the debate can turn serious, but remember, the barmans watching, and you're gonna wanna come back, so don't get so loud that the neighbours kick up **** and ye're all barred.
    This forum has been variously described as a refuge for idiots, the dregs of boards.ie, the best forum on boards and the only forum on boards. As such you may find After Hours quite different to any other boards.ie forums. What's OK here may not fly elsewhere on boards.
    In summary, we're better than the other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Are you accusing me of being a troll?

Are you accusing me of being a troll?

What I'm saying is you were trolling in the thread I started yesterday.

• Advertisement

What I'm saying is you were trolling in the thread I started yesterday.

I'll take that as a yes so.

So because I am a mod I can't have the craic in AH?

Do you think I should have closed the thread, because it wasn't in the right forum and then infracted you for back seat modding instead?

I have nearly 13,500 posts here and was a member long before I was a mod. In all that time I have only had one yellow card.Does that sound like a poster who randomly trolls threads?

Did you report any of my posts as per procedure or pm any AH mod or was this your first port of call?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Barrington wrote: »
    But, Micky's comment wasn't off-topic. It was related to your post.

And you're the one who wanted it to remain on-topic, but that's not really your call to make. Like I said, AH is not that kind of forum.

From the AH Forum Charter:
    I seem to remember that a previous version of the AH charter had a section saying (me paraphrasing) that a post could be serious and if the OP asked for that to be respected then it should be.

Having said that the mod have a right to post as a forum user too and the first response he posted was typical AH and should be seen as that, just another off the cuff remark.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm referring specifically to this thread that I started yesterday.
    Now I know this is to be expected in AH

I am not seeing the problem here.

You posted a serious thread in possibly the least serious forum on the site and you come here moaning when the forum lives up to it's name?

Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I was looking for some advice/help. And to be fair most of the posters were very helpful and wished me luck. However some tried to derail the thread with off topic comments. Now I know this is to be expected in AH so I made a point of saying if people had nothing useful to post them maybe you're better off not posting anything as I didnt want the thread derailed.

Not only should you not have the right to say the above in AH, but even if you did - I would strongly advise that you didn't, as the AH regulars are wolves (you all know you are ;)) and such a comment would just make you a wounded deer in their eyes. It's only asking for trouble. The only way for your thread to have been successful there would have been to join in with the jokes you found funny and ignore the ones you don't, while still replying to the more serious replies that were making the thread what you wanted it to be.

Complaining about the type of replies you were getting was always going to kill that thread, it would kill any thread, I've seen it happen there hundreds of times, some of my own threads in fact and in the end you just have to learn to ignore replies you don't like and reply to and thank the ones you do. I don't think anyone was out of order on the thread tbf.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Our mods are usually picked from the thanks whores group rather than the trolls crew tbh.

We only make trolls mods to out troll the other trolls.

Our mods are usually picked from the thanks whores group rather than the trolls crew tbh.

Are you accusing me of being a thanks whore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

OP report the post in future, the directed post will go directly to HR and the moderator in question will be called in to explain him/herself.

If the complaint is upheld the moderator is question will be reprimanded, this can come in a variety of ways, normally a beating.

But always report a post if something bothers you, don't be afraid to go into detail about how it has effected you personally and if your feelings have been hurt be sure to say so.

Rest assured all reported post are dealt with in the strictest of confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Shh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Heh...whores group...\touches self.

OP, Micky looked to be like any other AH regular in that thread. I don't think mods should have to act differently if what they are posting is in the spirit of the forum.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

I thought Makikomi's post was far more offensive. And funnier too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Now I know this is to be expected in AH so I made a point of saying if people had nothing useful to post them maybe you're better off not posting anything as I didnt want the thread derailed.

Meh, you can't rearrange a forum just to suit yourself. You wanted a big audience for your post so you posted in AH.

Expect AH style responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

You're a very good idea for a troll though Brendan. Complain about Mods trolling your threads to stir it up.... No one would ever suspect....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ok, htis has gone as far as it can go before someone gets banned for abuse.

the OP saw a mod post in what was, in his opinion, a trolling manner. The mod posted but didnt report the post to so I decided not to take it as an unfoudned accusation.

now we are starting to slip into the territory of posters accusing other posters of trolling and thats gonna lead to tears.

closign thread for the sake of sanity :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement