Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Dynamics

• 23-06-2011 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi gang!

Can anyone suggest any books on the topic of social dynamics? I'm very interested in it and would like to learn more. Cheers!

- Constant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Best one I've read recently is Keith Sawyer's Social Emergence

If you're looking for a broad history of simulation and emergence, Brendan Halpin's (1999) paper in American Behavioral Scientist Simulation in Sociology is worth a look

There are a few general texts on complexity theory, David Byrne's is probably the best (link)

Waldrop's history of complexity is good - if a little dated now, and has a nice bio of Brian Arthur, one of Santa Fe's earlier contributors

Castellani and Hafferty's Sociology and Complexity Science is more up to date, but I found it frustratingly laid out. It maps publications in complexity and related fields (emergence, cybernetics, world-systems etc).

If you want something a bit heavier, Kiel and Eliot's Chaos Theory and the Social Sciences is one of the most often cited (especially Harvey and Reed's paper).

Advertisement