Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet disconnecting

Options
  • 23-06-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

so my internet keeps disconnecting randomly as well as my speed going down from 12mb to 11mb it seems as i look at my router stats. so if you could give me any help id be thankful. plus i pm'd both mark and tony my telephone so as thats not the next thing you ask me for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

vorbis^cs wrote: »
    so my internet keeps disconnecting randomly as well as my speed going down from 12mb to 11mb it seems as i look at my router stats. so if you could give me any help id be thankful. plus i pm'd both mark and tony my telephone so as thats not the next thing you ask me for.

Hi vorbis^cs,

thanks for contacting eircom on boards.ie

I've taken a look at your broadband connection and can see you are getting intermittent connections. Your broadband attainable rate is good and is syncing at 12Mb.

I've checked with eircom Technical Support and they've advised that you have two recent cases logged with them. If you PM me, I can provide you with these references. Alternatively, please call into the Support Team directly.

Troubleshooting this type of connection problem :

Intermittent connections (or intermittent sync), can be caused by interference on the internal wiring. Please take a look at our Broadband Checklilst (below), which will help determine where this interference lies.

The modem itself may be the source of the problem, although in many cases this is not the case. Before you try our Broadband Checklist, try the following :

Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

*It is essential that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

If you are unsure how to do this, take a look at our Broaband Checklist below

Broadband Checklist - http://bit.ly/cTw6pU

(If you have any problem opening the above website, please copy & paste the URL into your Internet browser address bar.)

If you are still getting slow speeds or intermittent connections, then you should call into Technical Support directly. I can see that you have already hard reset the modem, although if you wish to try this again, please take a look at the following -

Resetting the Modem - http://bit.ly/mDVsrU

If you are still experiencing slow connections after this, then you will need to call into Broadband Support -

Broadband Support will need to test your connection, when you are on the phone with them. They will also need to advise you on the process of escalating any fault, and if an engineer is required to call out to your premises.

Completing the Broadband Checklist, advised on our Forum, will generally ensure that you avoid any call out fees if an engineer needs to enter your premises.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, in case you need to follow up on your case quickly. Alternatively, let us know and we can chase this as well.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

yea i've been through this procedure and i know the wiring is fine as i'm a electrician and i'm connected directly to main eircom master socket in the house with no other devices (sky) connected to the router. plus i know how to reset the router etc.. one more query that i forgot to mention that did never happened before on my netopia is that, when i'm using utorrent i cannot browse the internet and i have to reset my router first then restart my computer after to be able to browse again. i did test this on another Zyxel router which is the exact same model to the current router i'm using at the minute. do you know of any solution to this?

EDIT: is it possible that you could change my router setting upto 14mb/s so i can test it without having to ring up the technical support?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

vorbis^cs wrote: »
    yea i've been through this procedure and i know the wiring is fine as i'm a electrician and i'm connected directly to main eircom master socket in the house with no other devices (sky) connected to the router. plus i know how to reset the router etc.. one more query that i forgot to mention that did never happened before on my netopia is that, when i'm using utorrent i cannot browse the internet and i have to reset my router first then restart my computer after to be able to browse again. i did test this on another Zyxel router which is the exact same model to the current router i'm using at the minute. do you know of any solution to this?

EDIT: is it possible that you could change my router setting upto 14mb/s so i can test it without having to ring up the technical support?

thanks

Hi vorbis^cs,

Thanks again.
    I would advise that you contact Technical Support and they will confirm if you have a problem with your modem. If necessary they will replace this for you.

The fact that you say that you have completed the Broadband Checklis, advised, and are getting consistent Intermittent sync suggests that it may be a problem on the eircom network. There is little point in increasing your broadband speed until this problem is resolved first.

eircom Support can advise you on our basic modem configuration setup. However they may not be able to advise further on opening ports or port forwarding with regards third party applications (torrent clients) or 3rd party hardware (games consoles, Xbox, PS3).

If the latter you may need to refer to the vendor or manufacturer. eircom Technical Support will be able to confirm exactly what eircom related setup they will directly support.

Please retain you case ie (reference) from Technical Support so that you can follow up on any escalated case quickly.

PM your case id (ref) if you need me to chase this with the Support Team.

All the best,
    Ant

Advertisement