Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Butlers Lane Cork

• 23-06-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hello,

Trying to trace Butlers Lane in Cork (I think).

Got it from a marriage cert of my great grandfather's sister and she got married in St. Finbarrs South church in Dunbar Street, Cork 1n 1911.

I tried the historic OSI map for Cork and the old lanes in the city but no joy.

Could anyone please help me on this one??

Also this lady's occupation was Dealer - would that be associated with owning a shop maybe?

Thanks in advance yet again.......

Kilsmum:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I looked at a few things, and couldn't find anything that looked relevant to Cork. There are references to Butler's Lane in Doneraile and in Youghal (and a few other places further away from Cork).

It is possible that something was misheard, or the address given was an informal local name, and the official name was different.

Did you look for her in the 1911 Census?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You could contact Kieran McCarthy - he's a Cork Historian, and a current City Councillor. He's gifted with stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 davidjcie

Hi
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/
    The Church records for the South Parish are available on the aboe web site.
    Cork No. 5 Urban (part of) is most likely the DED that covers a lot of that area in the census 1911
    David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭kilsmum

Thanks for all the replies - its very much appreciated.

Cant find this lady in the 1911 census in Cork. She was living in Friars Walk with her widowed mother in 1901 and (waiting on a death cert from the GRO) her mother died in 1910 and it looks like they vacated the house after her death or maybe Ellen moved before then Im not sure.

I reckon she didn't move too far away because she came back to the church where her parents were married and she was baptised.

PaintDoctor thanks for your suggestion about Kieran McCarthy I have seen his articles on Cork in the past and he appears to be well informed.

Its also quite possible the name of the Lane was misheard or misspelled when it was originally recorded.

David - looked in all the Cork DEDs and cant find the lane at all

Thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it.

Kilsmum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Have you considered Buckley's Lane as a possibility?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

You could try www.corkpastandpresent.ie. There are old maps of the city on there. Also, a list of old street names. I had a quick look and couldn't see Butler's Lane. There is something with Bullen in the title though... The other thing that is on this website are old street directories. If you can track down likely street names, you might find her this way when she's a business owner. The sreet directories might tell you more about the business as well. You could also scan the portion of the marriage cert with address to see if anyone can read it for you.

P. Breathnach - my Ellen is O'Brien - and should have been around 37/40 in 1911.

Ceann Rua I already looked in Cork Past and Present and couldn't find it.

The cert was typed because I got it in the Births Deaths and Marriages office in Adelaide Street. Maybe the person who transcribed it from the register made a mistake I don't know.

This family have proved very elusive! Couldn't find her brother William in the 1901 census. Found Ellen in the 1901 census but cant find her in 1911 - they must have been form shy!!

Thanks very much for all your input I really appreciate it

Kilsmum

Its very likely the transcribing is wrong. I had an Olney in my past and it was transcribed as O'Leary. The writing can be very hard to read.
    My father's family lived in Frairs Walk around the same period.

David I saw your Olneys the other day in the Archives office in Great William O'Brien Street!!

I was looking at the rental books for the houses in Friars Walk where they had recorded observations on the houses (someone from the Corporation visited the houses and amended the records if a tenant had moved on). Its an unusual surname and I remember you mentioned it in a previous post. I was trying to find out for certain if my great grandfather's family actually lived there in 1911 or not. The book I was looking in covered 1911 up to 1915. From what I could work out the O'Brien's lived there in 1911 for a period and then left so its possible they left before the census - that's the only plausible explanation I can think of at this stage.

Kilsmum:)

kilsmum wrote: »
    David I saw your Olneys the other day in the Archives office in Great William O'Brien Street!!

I was looking at the rental books for the houses in Friars Walk where they had recorded observations on the houses (someone from the Corporation visited the houses and amended the records if a tenant had moved on). Its an unusual surname and I remember you mentioned it in a previous post.

Thanks for the above I didnt know such books existed - I'll have to go and have a look
    David

• Advertisement

Peter was the guy I was dealing with - a Dub - ask for the rates and evaluation books for Friars Walk for 1911/15 - you have to book a slot but waiting time is short enough - let me know how you get on :)

Advertisement