Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam backup and restore issue

Options
  • 23-06-2011 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I have a new PC. I made a backup of the games I had installed on my old one so I could install them in steam on the new one without downloading them all again.

When I tried to install them all at once, steam would end up freezing. So I started installing them one or two at a time. This worked well until about halfway through. Now when I go through the options for "restore from backup", it gets as far as selecting the backup folder, and then just closes the window.

I tried restarting steam and the PC. No difference. I am guessing there is a configuration file there or something that is causing it, because I think steam crashed during the last restore process. Anybody else encounter this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Should work but for future reference install Steam on a seperate drive/partition and each time windows is installed just point the steam installer to the folder on the seperate drive and all your games back in seconds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You could just copy the Steamapps folder directly from the Steam folder in Program Files.

It may not work well with third party games but it'll copy the bulk of the data over and you can verify the game cache from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Should work but for future reference install Steam on a seperate drive/partition and each time windows is installed just point the steam installer to the folder on the seperate drive and all your games back in seconds.
    ah cool I did install steam on a different drive to the system drive (system is on an ssd) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kadongy wrote: »
    ah cool I did install steam on a different drive to the system drive (system is on an ssd) :)

Just reinstall steam and point it there, may have to verify a game or 2 but all will need to be reinstalled which is better than downloading.

Advertisement