Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was the Western Star demolished?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭

I used to visit in this pub on a Saturday night, back in the day when the greyhound track was on the Western Road before it moved out to Curraheen. I hadn't been up that way for a long while but I passed yesterday and was suprised to see that the Western Star is demolished and all that's there now is a narrow field with grass and weeds growing in it. I'd heard that the place had been shut down but I didn't know it had been demolished. It doesn't look as if there is anything about to be built there in a hurry either.

Just wondering if anyone knows the reason why it was knocked down?
    Thanks for the info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Just wondering if anyone knows the reason why it was knocked down?
    Thanks for the info.

the site was bought to open a financial services office.
    enough said really :)

4621614125_1d35d61345.jpg
    Western Star by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

First million pound pub in Ireland I think back in the late 90's.

It used be THRONGED every nigth of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

jayteecork wrote: »
    First million pound pub in Ireland I think back in the late 90's.

It used be THRONGED every nigth of the week.

I can remember ( just ) some crazy college nights out there. Even though our student accomdation was far away from the bar we'd end up out at the Western Star and it was a challenge in its self to get a drink at the bar, sometimes it was just utter chaos but it all seemed normal, then came the ineviatable trek into town for late night clubbing.

Thinking back I miss the place but cant think it was too safe with the amount of people that we're jammed into the place.

Good times. :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

gavredking wrote: »
    I can remember ( just ) some crazy college nights out there. Even though our student accomdation was far away from the bar we'd end up out at the Western Star and it was a challenge in its self to get a drink at the bar, sometimes it was just utter chaos but it all seemed normal, then came the ineviatable trek into town for late night clubbing.

Thinking back I miss the place but cant think it was too safe with the amount of people that we're jammed into the place.

Good times. :pac:

Think the Star ran buses from there into Cork at one stage.

Never liked the place much tbh, except after your last summer exam everyone is out back in the beer garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

deRanged wrote: »
    the site was bought to open a financial services office.
    enough said really :)

4621614125_1d35d61345.jpg
    Western Star by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

I don't know about that, you are correct about it being a new building. Its just that I remember pricing a job for the proposed building back in 2006/07 while on holidays in Paris. The plans were for a private medical suite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement