Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway, teaching, sub opportunities

Options
  • 23-06-2011 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Dear all,

I am moving to Galway next week and hope to pick up a primary teaching job for September 2011 coming. If not at least subbing. Im just wondering what the subbing scene is like in Galway? I.E. Are there many subbing opportunities there? I'm so worried and anxious that I won't get subbing. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Hey, my partner is a teacher and we lived in Galway about a year and a half ago. I asked her and she said that it's ok but not great, there is work but not loads of it. She reckons there's more work in gaelscoils there. There seems to be plenty of subbing in Dublin if that's of any relevance to you!?

By the way, I don't think that this is the right place to post this, you probably won't get much info on teaching from GMIT undergrads!

Edit: I'm sure you're aware of it already but maybe http://www.educationposts.ie would be a good place to get more info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 catherine1986

Thankyou for your reply. Guess it was a silly place to post such a query (I'm new to this woops...) Do you know how often she got something/subbing. Could she survive? Like did she get something at least forthnightly?

I'm already aware of the educationposts.ie link but cheers anyhow.

My partner has secured a job in Galway for the year and I'm following him thus I've no real choice about living in Galway if I'm to be with him. His job involves him moving around the country on a year to year basis.

I have fluent Gaeilge if thats any help to me? I really don't know. How do I apply for subbing? Do I just go into the schools in September?

I never had to sub before as had year on year temporary contracts up untill this point.

So worried about the job scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

moved from GMIT, might be more suited here.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

I'd imagine fluent Irish would be a distinct advantage. There's a text messaging service you can sign up for that alerts you to subbing work, don't know what it's called but I'm sure you'll find it. She also went into schools to get her face known, which seemed to work fairly well. My partner had semi-regular work, although it was fairly slow for the first few months of the school year.

Galway doesn't seem that great for teaching at the moment to be honest, part of the reason we moved was so my partner could get more regular work. I think an actual teacher working in Galway would be able to give you better advice and information than me though, I'm just going on my partners experiences. Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Speaking from some experience, the situation to Galway is similar to other areas in the country.
    - in the last year there's a large number of positions which have been cut (for example the supply teachers). They went onto the panel and are still permanent so they get the first of any permanent jobs which will come on stream.
    So the best advice is to assume you won't get a permanent position for this coming September because any have to be filled by teachers on the panel (I don't think it'll be cleared and I guess there's more cutbacks coming), or will be filled by teachers who already have a relationship with the school - subs for extended periods or maternity leave

- on subbing the best route it to have a good CV and drop around the schools you're near. Try to build relationship/contacts and once you start to get calls and possibly a longer term position for maternity leave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement