Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT 5e Cable

Options
  • 23-06-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I am getting work done to my house and intend to run CAT5e cables to future proof. I am enquiring what to do at connection points (behind tv to carry HD, computer desk)? Is there a socket box like for coax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

169 wrote: »
    I am getting work done to my house and intend to run CAT5e cables to future proof. I am enquiring what to do at connection points (behind tv to carry HD, computer desk)? Is there a socket box like for coax?

Hi,

Bring your Cat5e cable(s) into a single backbox (upto 2 cables) or A double back box for Up to 4 cat 5s or combination of cat5Es & Co-ax and/or phones.
    Phone can be ran over Cat5E & RJ45 outlets or you can buy specific rj11 outlets although they are a bit more expensive. Boxes,face blates/blanks, RJ45, RJ11 modules can all be bought from any decent electrical wholesalers or from a myriad of websites online...

Sc024

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You can in most cases plug an RJ11 connector into an RJ45 socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Red Alert wrote: »

This can be a little hit-and-miss, plus it compresses the outer two pins of the RJ45. I think the problem is that it's not part of the standard, so some patch panels etc. are fine, some aren't.

You can get in-line RJ11/RJ45 adapters, or you can just crimp on an RJ45 to the end of the phone cable.

OP - put in twice as many cables as you think you'll need :)

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This can be a little hit-and-miss, plus it compresses the outer two pins of the RJ45. I think the problem is that it's not part of the standard, so some patch panels etc. are fine, some aren't.

You can get in-line RJ11/RJ45 adapters, or you can just crimp on an RJ45 to the end of the phone cable.

OP - put in twice as many cables as you think you'll need :)

SSE
    +1

also Cat5E is the minimum standard, CAT6 would push your future proofing plans, Cat6E or Cat6A might be difficult to install and expensive, but I'd spend the small bit extra to get in Cat6.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

60-70 euro for a 300+ meter box of Cat6.

Not exactly breaking the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Red Alert wrote: »

This is bad advice as its the best way to shag/feck up the pins.

DO NOT DO THIS

Advertisement