Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diluting night feeds? A good or bad idea at 6 months

Options
  • 23-06-2011 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi, My boy is over 6 months old, established on solids, getting sufficient formula during the day and is waking out of habit for a feed at 10.30 pm ( I am happy to continue with this feed for a while) but also at 1am and 4am for feeds.
    I have tried water, sugar in water, and the soother.. but he literally kicks and screams until he gets the formula, then only drinks one maybe two ounces.
    I read somewhere about diluting the night feed, say 4 ounces of formula with 5 water for one week, then reduce it the second week etc. So i looked it up, and only see negative reactions to this. My PHN says it's ok, but I really don't find her to be much help.
    Has anyone ever tried it??
    Thnaks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kirstyor123

I wouldnt give it to him.
    If you continue to feed him he will wake up as it will be his routine.
    I know you said he kicks and screams and you have tried everyting but stick to it and
    just give him his soother. It will be hard at first but if you dont he will continue
    to wake up during the night.
    Your baby is 6 months and your still getting up to him you must be wrecked..
    My little one is 4 mnths an sleeps right through the night, goes down at 8pm
    and sleeps till 8 next morning because when she woke up before i would give the soother
    and nothing else.

Good luck xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kb585

Thanks!
    yes 6 months of getting up at night, and its only recently gone to 2 times.. it was much much more! Think ill stick to trying the water and soother, I cannot find enough info where it says diluting is ok!
    Thanks for responding!

Very Jealous of your little one sleeping through already! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kirstyor123

Personally i have never heard of diluting feeds but i looked it
    up and it seens perfectly ok ( well what i read said it was )
    I wouldnt say it could do any harm it is only added water :D
    God some people really over-react these days when it comes
    to baby its all dont do this and dont do that lol...
    Anyways heres a little paragraph i read saying it was fine.............

Going off to sleep with a bottle of milk, formula, or juice may damage the teeth – a condition called "bottle mouth". To ease baby off the nighttime bottle, try watering down: Gradually dilute the bottle contents with increasing amounts of water until baby figures out it's not worth waking up and fussing for a bottle of water. Also, don't bottle prop. Though it is tempting to leave a bottle in the crib for a 3:00 a.m. self-serve, don't! Not only does this practice contribute to tooth decay, baby can choke on the contents, with no one there to help. There should always be a person at both ends of the bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kb585

I might try water for 2 more nights, and if it doesn't work, i'll resort to diluting it! You are right though, there is always someone somewhere ready to over - react! I nearly didn't post the question :)
    Thanks again! really appreciate it!

Advertisement