Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ongoing saga of Eircoms promised speed upgrade

• 23-06-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

About six weeks ago I got a letter from Eircom saying my broadband speed would be upgraded to 24mps. Gave them a ring about it and found out I would actually be getting 15mps because thats all the line would take and I would see the upgrade before the middle of June.

The middle of June came and went so I gave them a ring on Tuesday, technical support transferred me to sales where a woman told me it should have been done by now and she would email her supervisor about it and ring me back that evening or Wednesday morning. Wednesday morning comes and goes with no phone call so I ring again to see whats going on. A person in sales tells me the upgrade is going through and it would be done by this morning (Thursday). Morning comes and goes with no speed upgrade so I ring again, technical support transfers me to sales, sales attempts to transfer me to technical support and a stern man with a Cork accent tells me they have no way of knowing when it will be done (though he guesses another two or three weeks) and that there is no point in ringing back. He also has no idea why the guy from Wednesday was talking about.

Long story short, Eircom phone support kind of sucks :rolleyes:

Anywho, has anyone who got the same letter as me seen the upgrade yet? Is anyone in the same boat as me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Haven't got any such letter but we are supposed to be getting at least 10mbps and the best they can manage is 1/5th of that.

Moral of the story: Use a different provider if you can (just not vodafone, they're worse.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

balfe1990 wrote: »

Moral of the story: Use a different provider if you can (just not vodafone, they're worse.)

DSL is DSL doesn't really matter who the provider is as the line will still be the same as eircom will be providing the service for bitstream services anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Anyone with dsl bb should make a point of being familiar with their line stats. You will then know what speeds your line is capable of irrespective of who your isp maybe.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I don't believe they have enough ADSL2+ ports where they need them. The have lots of ADSL1 8mbit ports but they will need them for current 1mbit customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

dub45 wrote: »
    Anyone with dsl bb should make a point of being familiar with their line stats. You will then know what speeds your line is capable of irrespective of who your isp maybe.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Damn you to hell Dub45 - You mock my pain!:(
    I have a Telsey modem with Magnet, and I can't get my line stats on that link,
    because it seems that site has never heard of a Telsey modem!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you try googling for the manual?

Maybe somewhere here?

http://telsey.com/support_download.asp?subcat=1&macro=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

About six weeks ago I got a letter from Eircom saying my broadband speed would be upgraded to 24mps. Gave them a ring about it and found out I would actually be getting 15mps because thats all the line would take and I would see the upgrade before the middle of June.

The middle of June came and went so I gave them a ring on Tuesday, technical support transferred me to sales where a woman told me it should have been done by now and she would email her supervisor about it and ring me back that evening or Wednesday morning. Wednesday morning comes and goes with no phone call so I ring again to see whats going on. A person in sales tells me the upgrade is going through and it would be done by this morning (Thursday). Morning comes and goes with no speed upgrade so I ring again, technical support transfers me to sales, sales attempts to transfer me to technical support and a stern man with a Cork accent tells me they have no way of knowing when it will be done (though he guesses another two or three weeks) and that there is no point in ringing back. He also has no idea why the guy from Wednesday was talking about.

Long story short, Eircom phone support kind of sucks :rolleyes:

Anywho, has anyone who got the same letter as me seen the upgrade yet? Is anyone in the same boat as me?
    Could you at least tell us what speed your modem reports and also the attenuation and signal margin stats (which are part of the DSL line statistics or DSL line details or something similar in the router's webpage)

Advertisement