Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be wide - temporary CCTV camera on Skehard road

Options
  • 23-06-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Just half way up the hill where the old Green Dragon recycling used to be and Brickfields is now, there's a temporary CCTV camera stuck up on a pole. These were allegedly in Ballincollig before, and were used to identify habitual speeders/messers. Anyone who does the dog deserves to be caught, but for the rest of us mere mortals who might stray over the speed limit, it's nice to know it's there.

These might not be related to speeding at all, but a friend asked a Gard in Ballincollig the time they were there, and that's the answer he got.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

But I'm looking to get thin..:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's checking the traffic volumes and patterns as preparatory work for the great roundabout removal scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Normally I'd agree, but that's usually done by the box at the side of the road with the pneumatic sensors laid across inside black pipes. This is overkill if all you want to do is monitor traffic patterns and congestion.

Nah. This is the modern way. Had them in Douglas as well before they changed the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Oh, fair nuff. Ignore everything I've said above so :o

• Advertisement

of course I'm just a random guy on the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I remember reading that they often use cameras to map the usage of roads, looking for rat runs and the like. i.e. following cars to see where they go, to help with light sequences and so on.

they had a ton of them out in Glounthaune at the Little Island flyover a few months ago, covering every lane on all the entry/exit roads around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

^^ This you get a lot more from a camera. They OCR the Number plates and get a picture fo what the flow is in addition to the amount.

I'm sure they could be used for speed but it would be very unlikely to be admissible in court as the calibration required would't be there. You'd just get an idea how long it took car A to get from Bandon Rd to Kinsale rd etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Just half way up the hill where the old Green Dragon recycling used to be and Brickfields is now, there's a temporary CCTV camera stuck up on a pole. These were allegedly in Ballincollig before, and were used to identify habitual speeders/messers. Anyone who does the dog deserves to be caught, but for the rest of us mere mortals who might stray over the speed limit, it's nice to know it's there.

These might not be related to speeding at all, but a friend asked a Gard in Ballincollig the time they were there, and that's the answer he got.
    so its fine if you only break the speed the odd time is it?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

booboo88 wrote: »

as long as you don't inhale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

ehem...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

shine your Halo there fella:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    shine your Halo there fella:rolleyes:

fella huh? ;) might have to re name you sherlock :rolleyes:

Advertisement