Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an ethernet cable to find out password?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am back home with my mother for a few weeks and she has eircom wireless internet. I am trying to connect but she has forgotten her password. The password was changed by my brother for security but he is away at the moment so I cannot ask him what to do. I know that it can be done via an ethernet cable because I remember having to do it years ago in my old house. However that is far as my limited knowledge extends. Any information on what I need to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

you should be able to connect via Ethernet and log in to the router and find out the WiFi password

most routers will have a generic password

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

population wrote: »
    Hi

I am back home with my mother for a few weeks and she has eircom wireless internet. I am trying to connect but she has forgotten her password. The password was changed by my brother for security but he is away at the moment so I cannot ask him what to do. I know that it can be done via an ethernet cable because I remember having to do it years ago in my old house. However that is far as my limited knowledge extends. Any information on what I need to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

connect the ethernet cable
    in a web browser go to 192.168.1.254
    broadband1 is the default password I think for eircom
    go to the wireless settings and you'll see the key and other settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

typr 192.168.1.254 into a browser.if it asks for a password its broadband1,then select network on the left then wireless from the submenu.the password will be there

if its doesnt ask for a password just click wireless on the left and the password will be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

beaten to it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    beaten to it:)

the good deeds you can tick off while waiting for 6pm home time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

I typed in that code but once I hook up the ethernet cable it just connects to the internet and gives me loads of different webpages for that code? I am not any more clear on what to do to get the wireless password? Sorry

Actually sorry just realised you all meant to put that into the bar on top. Just did that and it took me to the eircom site. The broadband1 password is not working though. Is there another password?

All sorted lads.
    Cheers:)

Advertisement