Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert music 2011 Harmony question.

• 23-06-2011 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey I'm wondering can someone help me out here. So I just sat my Leaving Cert Music exam for 2011. It went pretty well I must say. The composition paper was handy and I flew through it, seamlessly without any problems. Untill I got home and started realizing all of these stupid mistakes that I made. So I did the harmony question first. It was in a minor key. So I would have had to sharpen the 7th note, and also the 6th if I was moving upwards and flatten them when moving downwards. So I said ill do out my harmony and leave that till the end. I completly forgot about this so my minor harmony question now has no sharpend 6th or 7th. FML! :(
    Im absolutely freaking out here. I'm actually banging my head against the wall here. I finished the composition paper with 20 minutes to spare, checked over my work and left ten minutes early. How could I be so stupid and careless! I checked over my work and everything :( The question was going perfect nall :(
    Can anybody tell me how important this rule is in the harmony question and roughly how many marks I lost?
    Because I'm actually flipping out here :( FMFL!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

First of all calm down! It's over now. You'll do better than you think.

It took me ages to figure out that harmony. I thought it was a harmonic minor for ages but then thought "No, they don't do that in LC" so what I did was for going up, I copied what they did and naturalised the 6th and sharpened the 7th, and then down I naturalised the 7th and left the 6th without any mark because it would have flattened itself. I honestly don't know if that was the right way to go about it though. It's not something you'll lose a lot over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 plosh

Cydoniac wrote: »
    First of all calm down! It's over now. You'll do better than you think.

It took me ages to figure out that harmony. I thought it was a harmonic minor for ages but then thought "No, they don't do that in LC" so what I did was for going up, I copied what they did and naturalised the 6th and sharpened the 7th, and then down I naturalised the 7th and left the 6th without any mark because it would have flattened itself. I honestly don't know if that was the right way to go about it though. It's not something you'll lose a lot over.

Ye I looked at the chord chart at the star and every G had a sharp over it, it took me a minute then I realised you have to sharpen the seventh. But I left every G blank so there are no accidentals in my harmony haha. Ye hopefully theres not too many marks going for it because I think I did pretty well on everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

For the minor harmony- I just sharpened all the 7ths and left it at that. I wasn't sure were you supposed to naturalize all the 6ths too?
    Also I forgot about the upbeat in the melody and I have 1 extra beat in my last bar! Would I lose much marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 plosh

mockshelp wrote: »
    For the minor harmony- I just sharpened all the 7ths and left it at that. I wasn't sure were you supposed to naturalize all the 6ths too?

Also I forgot about the upbeat in the melody and I have 1 extra beat in my last bar! Would I lose much marks?

Not really sure sorry :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JamieDOC

I just naturalised the e whenever I used it with the chord of D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Well what I remembered from playing harmonic minor scales is that when you're ascending, you play it as it it were a major chord, i.e sharpening the 6th/7th, but when you're descending, you flatten them. Hence why when I was descending I naturalised the 7th and left nothing beside the 6th since the flat was in the key signature. I hope that was the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

Please clarify what question you did before you scare people!

Q4 was in A minor; no sharps or flats.

:)

Advertisement