Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being left confused

Options
  • 23-06-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Went to see a house today fell in love with it. landlord said we were second on the list(1st preference went to a girl he rented to for 3 years).
    Rang back he said she wants to take the house, but has to apply for rent allowance. Now i dont know does he mean to move rent allowance from one property to another but I have the full months rent and deposit. I was under the impression the housing department who give out rent allowance wouldnt allow her to move unless she had a very good reason or am I wrong?? I mean shes a single girl cant see why theyd see a need for her to move into a 3 bed house. Anyone got any facts or??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Honestly I would look elsewhere, he has found someone to rent to, who she is or how she pays is none of your concern. He has prob told you in case her application to transfer fails.

There are numerous reasons they would allow transfer, cheaper rent being a very good one, closer to the childs school, the mothers work or because of anti social behaviour suffered by the claimant, again really none of your concern, you want the house, as it stands you cant have it so look elsewhere.

If it is right it will not pass you by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

velvet1989 wrote: »
    Went to see a house today fell in love with it. landlord said we were second on the list(1st preference went to a girl he rented to for 3 years).
    Rang back he said she wants to take the house, but has to apply for rent allowance. Now i dont know does he mean to move rent allowance from one property to another but I have the full months rent and deposit. I was under the impression the housing department who give out rent allowance wouldnt allow her to move unless she had a very good reason or am I wrong?? I mean shes a single girl cant see why theyd see a need for her to move into a 3 bed house. Anyone got any facts or??

The LL has the right to rent to whomever he wants. Moreover, it could be said that a healthy landlord-tenant relationship like these two have means they have both put in time building trust and that deserves its own reward - in this instance, a continued business arrangement.

However, I would very, very much like to know the answer to your question: why is a single person getting RA for a 3-bed? Either your information is incorrect or there is something fishy going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

However, I would very, very much like to know the answer to your question: why is a single person getting RA for a 3-bed? Either your information is incorrect or there is something fishy going on.
    As far as I am aware, although social housing says a single person would get a 1 bed, single with one child 2 bed etc etc according to rent allowance the rent just needs to be under the limit, yes there are guidelines but the cwo workers are generally happy enough as long as it is within the bracket allowed for a single person. I know a fair few single mammies with 3 bed houses and just one child claiming rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭velvet1989

he has not said no to me yet he said he will get back to me hence why I asked the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

1. How do you know she was getting RA in her previous accomodation?

2. How do you know she doesn't have a number of children?

If the landlord told you the answers to these questions then I would not like to rent for him, seems he is a bit of a blabber-mouth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭velvet1989

I dont know if she is recieving or applying im hoping applying you see because we are more likely to get it as it takes a long while to apply.
    He informed me she was one single person alone so thats how I know she hasnt got kids. Its not me being nosy Just want to know where I stand is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm sorry for you that you did not get the house but it looks as if this tale has a happy aspect. There have been a number of threads on here bemoaning landlords as money grabbing individuals who won't consider rent allowance cases. It's good to hear of the opposite - someone who is willing to wait for one to be assessed.

i hope you find another property that you are happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I dont know if she is recieving or applying im hoping applying you see because we are more likely to get it as it takes a long while to apply.

I don't think wishing hassle on this girl will do you much good. It sounds like the landlord is willing to wait a couple of weeks in order to secure a tenant that he knows and trusts. Tbh, I'd be the same.
    Just want to know where I stand is all :)

The landlord wants to rent to someone else. If this falls through you are next on the list and he will contact you.

Advertisement