Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow broadband speeds.

• 23-06-2011 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

I'm paying 35.99 a month for unlimited (100 gig) with speeds of upto 8Mb.

After speaking with the company support guy he told me realistically I can only expect 4-6 given my location and other things. And for the first few months thats exactly what I got 4-6 throughout the day and I was delighted with it as its the best I've ever had in this location.

The last couple of months have seen a huge decrease in speeds. The odd time I will get the 4-5 but only rarely and mostly in the small hours, I get close to 2 up until 5pm when it could drop as low as 0.3 and never really go higher than 1Mb up to 12 pm. There are exceptions but the majority of the time I get 0.3 - 1ish from 5pm onwards.

Every time I contact the support guy he asks about torrents. At the start of the whole thing I had to actually send him regular speed tests while having a bandwith monitor open to prove I wasnt downloading torrents. He did something and asked me to check it and it was back upto speed. Few days later speeds died again. And once again he asked about torrents. He said there was alot of attempts to peer with me. I had nothing but facebook and gmail open at the time.

Are these guys giving me the run around by accusing me of slowing my own speed by downloading torrents or could there be something causing these peer attempts and is it possible that they are interfering with my speeds ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

You never told us who your ISP is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What are your line stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

moonboy52 wrote: »
    You never told us who your ISP is?

RocketBroadband which I think is Skytel.

roast wrote: »
    What are your line stats?

Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable about the technical side of things. What exactly do you mean by line stats ?

Log in to your modem (usually 192.168.1.1 and it should display the technical specs and statistics of your broadband connection. Post those statistics here, and we can see what the issue is. :)

• Advertisement

This is probably the wrong things but I'll post it anyway.

Status
    Firmware Version: 3.11.3 Build 100408 Rel.42303n
    Hardware Version: WR940N v1/WR941N v4 00000000

LAN
    MAC Address: D8-5D-4C-C2-2E-6C
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Wireless
    Wireless Radio:Enable
    (SSID):ScWifi2
    channel:6
    Mode:11bgn mixed
    Channel Width:Automatic
    Max Tx Rate:300Mbps
    MAC Address:D8-5D-4C-C2-2E-6C
    WDS Status:Run

Traffic Statistics
    Received

Bytes:4074797493 Packets:5402707

sent

Bytes: 1576868059 Packets : 5045525

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Line stats won't come into it for a fixed wireless provider.

Have you tried using a completely different laptop (get a lend of one etc) to see how that works?

Make sure the computer's security is up to scratch, sometimes those symptoms can be caused by virus infections or related "malware".

A different computer that's known to be working can help rule out many issues when you try it on your own internet service.

Line stats won't come into it for a fixed wireless provider.

Have you tried using a completely different laptop (get a lend of one etc) to see how that works?

Make sure the computer's security is up to scratch, sometimes those symptoms can be caused by virus infections or related "malware".

A different computer that's known to be working can help rule out many issues when you try it on your own internet service.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm using Ubuntu on this laptop and pretty sure its clean. I have tried two other laptops and the result is the same. Today was a good day it didnt slow down until after 8 so it didnt hinder me too much. I checked the speed on several laptops, turned off the wireless and connected via cable and results were all the same.

Connection is completely gone now as its prone to do on occasion too. Having to wait for a few minutes to post. When it came back I did a test and got a 6.20Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Skunkle wrote: »
    There are exceptions but the majority of the time I get 0.3 - 1ish from 5pm onwards. ?

It's congestion, simple as that. There's nothing you can do, bar switch to a different ISP, unless the ISP can fix their network.

It's highly unlikely that they will admit to this, or do anything about it.

Broadband & Phone service via Satellitte for everyone

Up to 10Mbps Download,

100% Coverage Nationwide

No Congestion!!!

Fast, Simple & Everywhere in Ireland,

You can order your Tooway package from as little as 35euro a month

Call Jason on 087 1351899

www.kbo.ie

I don't think I would buy satellite broadband from someone who is unable to spell satellite. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement