Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Fraud

Options
  • 23-06-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

So I checked my online account yesterday - a transaction I didn't make for a hotel/hostel place in Mexico! €534! Phoned bank - they've cancelled my card and promised to refund me the money and look into it further.

Happened to check my account again today and noticed another transaction for Travel Lodge UK, for €61. Phoned bank again and informed them of the other transaction [even though it was dated before the €534 but I must have overlooked it] and lady informs me that because it's a 'smal' amount the fraud department won't deal with it and I have to write to 'BOI Charge back department' instead to enquire about this transaction! Surely they should be lumped together & investigated - why should I have to contact Travel Lodge myself [which is what she suggested] when I've little/no chance of getting that money refunded on my own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, the bank should be dealing with it, irrespective of the amount.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    'BOI Charge back department'

As per you post the bank did not tell you to talk to Travel Lodge, they told you to talk to their Charge Back Dept., which is normal for small amounts as at this point there nothing to suggest the two are related.

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Just in relation to this, apparently Travel Lodge had a security breach. Did you ever stay at their hotels or pay them with your credit card ?

They say its only emails that were hacked, but it seems to be a coincidence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8596472/Travelodge-investigates-customer-security-breach.html

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

I was away on the May Bank Holiday and we to use my card and it was rejected by the shop, phoned the Bank and they said they put a stop on it and wanted to check some transactions with me, 1 for €18 and 1 for €78, both we ok and they siad the card was now unblocked, I was a bit pissed off with them for blocking my card but at least they were keeping an eye on things or so I thought. I opened my statement today and €4000 had been put on my card in 2 weeks. 6 Vodafone top ups for €60 each in the same day, Debenhams Dublin €34 and Debenhams Cork €398.74 in the same day, loads of other transactions to make up the €4k which put the card a €1000 over my credit limit. Called the Bank and asked them why they didnt block the card for such strange transactions, they thought nothing was wrong.. They blocked me for €18 and €78 and didnt block it for €4k and some many on the same day.. 6 vodafone top ups in the same day should have had the alarms bells ringing. the girl said the fraud department will be in touch in a few weeks!!!!! and the balance will stay on my card till they sort it out,, should this not be delt with straight away?? I would be grateful of any help on thi..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 derekroconnor

At about 1:30pm, July 4, 2011, my credit card company phoned me to query two transactions, made just minutes earlier, for payment to O2 Buynet. The first, for €1.12, was followed shortly after by a second for €561.66. I have no account with O2.

The CC company said they have stopped the 2nd larger transaction, cancelled my card, and will send me a new card within the week.

Possibly related information: I bought a PAYG Samsung E2121B from Tesco Mobile (Ireland) two months ago. I used Tesco Mobile Topup to buy €30 of time about 3 weeks ago, paid by CC, and transaction went through. I'm told that Tesco Mobile uses O2.

See here for similar stories:

http://www.forhacsec.com/2011/03/18/are-o2-making-it-easy-for-the-fraudsters/

Derek O'Connor

• Advertisement
Advertisement