Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APS M4 electronic blow back

Options
  • 23-06-2011 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hello

I am thinking about buying the "A.P.S M4 RIS EBB" aeg from ehobby asia.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/aeg/accuracy-pneumatics-shooting-a-p-s/a-p-s-m4-ris-electric-blowback-rifle-asr-104.html

This will be the first AEG I will actually buy and have asked a couple of more experienced friends what they thought of it, none have ever used it but said they couldn't find anything not to like about it based only on that store page, and a couple of reviews online.

so does anyone here have any hands on experience with that AEG or is APS a brand to avoid?

(i did a quick search of this forum but couldn't find any review here of that aeg, if there is please delete. thanks)

Artur

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭richieffff

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭mack1984

Their gearbox is supposed to be the worst around and you can only buy a full gearbox to replace 1 broken part (not sure if its true) so if it breaks your screwed, id avoid and go with a tried and tested brand. this is just from what ive heard not first hand experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

mack1984 wrote: »
    Their gearbox is supposed to be the worst around and you can only buy a full gearbox to replace 1 broken part (not sure if its true) so if it breaks your screwed, id avoid and go with a tried and tested brand. this is just from what ive heard not first hand experience

Not entirely true. Although the anti-reversal latch and tappet plate are two different-to-standard parts in the gearbox, there are many standard ones too. The gears,piston,cylinder,air nozzle,cylinder head,piston and piston head and spring guide are all standard replacable parts. And if you do a little search through some online shops spare parts section you can find numerous APS gearbox parts.

Something to note with buying from abroad is that the AEG can be over 1 Joule and will need to be downgraded. Also when buying from outside europe your purchase can be susceptible to tax when it arrives here.

My advice would to maybe look to at least buying within Europe if you can to save hassle and asking for a downgrade from some european retailers can be easy and relatively cheap(the price of the parts only at times).

But a browse through the Irish retailers could be useful too as you have a warranty and someone to contact/drop in to quickly in the event something breaks,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭NinjaLmk

Personally id avoid like the plague, ive had 2 and they both are still breaking my heart, im so close to scrapping both for parts,
    The EBB is broken on both & is unrepairable, new parts req'd & that only after a short time out, Mag feed probs on both too. Wont work long enough to see if anything else is wrong with them.
    If i ever see or am offered an APS iagain it will be too soon,

Thats just 2cents worth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

*individual non-biased opinion*

They're crap! Seriously man avoid them - get a G&G Raider, they're so much better.

The quality of the internals is shockingly bad, crappy plastic piston, bushings, spring guide, trigger assembly. The fake bolt breaks easily, they have a stupid hex screw in the stock tube:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

richieffff wrote: »

Thank you, I failed to spot that.
    mack1984 wrote:
    CpcRc wrote:
    Not entirely true. Although the anti-reversal latch and tappet plate are two different-to-standard parts in the gearbox, there are many standard ones too. The gears,piston,cylinder,air nozzle,cylinder head,piston and piston head and spring guide are all standard replacable parts. And if you do a little search through some online shops spare parts section you can find numerous APS gearbox parts.
    NinjaLmk wrote:
    Personally id avoid like the plague, ive had 2 and they both are still breaking my heart, im so close to scrapping both for parts,
    Leftyflip wrote:

They're crap! Seriously man avoid them - get a G&G Raider, they're so much better.

The quality of the internals is shockingly bad, crappy plastic piston, bushings, spring guide, trigger assembly. The fake bolt breaks easily, they have a stupid hex screw in the stock tube

Thanks for the replies guys, I will keep this in mind and ask the retailer if they have had any complaints regarding this AEG. As i said this will be my first AEG and I would like to buy it because it is cheap, and seemed to not be a completely crappy brand (I heard the Chinese brands are the 'worst' relatively speaking)
    Leftyflip wrote:
    get a G&G Raider, they're so much better.

Is this the one?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/aeg/g-g-taiwan/gandg-cm16-raider-m4-ris-battle-ready-combo-package-black.html

It looks like a good price actually. what are peoples opinions on that? I could see myself getting this based on the advice given so far about the APS M4

Aye that be the one - get it Irish though - much much less hassle and you have a comeback if you need one - I think Hobby have them in :)

They're fantastic AEGs for your money - great reliability and performance, I'd almost buy one myself if I had money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Have to compliment the raider aswell, great rifles!
    There nice and light, but the G&G nylon fibre bodys are very very sturdy!
    Plenty of ris space if you wish to put on various attachments and what not, definitely a great buy!

Im on my second one now, i sold my first one as i got another rifle and i missed it so much i got it back ( i picked it over a G&G F2000 :o )
    I havent done any mods or upgrades to myne and its firing perfect, i skirmished it for the whole weekend just gone and she held up great and it was so light on the hands, which ment i didnt get as tired as maybe carrying a heavier rifle ( but that damn hill made me tired :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

Fantastic to hear. thank you!

After thinking about it now for a little bit it seems the APS was a little too good to be true.
    The G&G Raider is available in a shop near where I live, for 200eur and it comes with a battery+charger (are these any good?) and a hi-cap magazine .

Appreciate all the advice so quickly.

Leftyflip wrote: »
    The fake bolt breaks easily, they have a stupid hex screw in the stock tube:mad:

+1 on that.

I removed my bolt catch as it was in the way of disassembly and didn't work too well anyway as it only engaged about 50% of the time.

And I was nearly tempted to replace the stock tube screw with a regular one because I don't own a hex screwdriver. It's the worst part of dissassembly/reassembly. I have developed a new allen key,long pliers,torch and patience technique for dissassembly, haha :p

To be honest, I'd tend to agree with the people here about the G&G raider as I've heard less bad experiences with them than the APS.

But I must say that my APS M4 is my absolute favourite AEG of my collection at the moment and any minor problems I've had, I have been able to fix easily enough. Just takes time and a little money(not too much in my case but I have known others who spent much more and did much more work).

The APS can be good as there are plenty of people who enjoy theirs but there are also plenty of people who have had problems. It's more a case of luck when buying an APS, you can love it or have your heart broken. So it's maybe not the best option for now but you shouldn't rule the name APS out in the future as they are reltively new to making AEGs and have only released two or three generations of AEGs in the past few years. Other companies have much more history and experience.

That's my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Michael Devers

Well I have the A.P.S. ASR 103 version and I have to admit it's a pretty nice airsoft rifle. I got it only around two weeks ago and so far the only problem I had with it was a blown fuse and that was easily fixed and so far no problems at all. I would get one if your starting airsoft but be prepared... the blowback will def you.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SpektorDyl

Ok, i have an APS ARS 101. ive had it since christmas. straight off the bat the magwell is slightly too big for most mags, there is a lot of wobble and the mag catch doesnt hold most mags in far enough to engage the feeding tube on the hop unit!
    secondly the bolt catch doesnt engage bout 55% of the time!
    as for internal issues,
    the blowback is created by a bar that runs parallell to the piston, the bolt is screwed on this bar and on the other end is a small lip that catches on the rear of the piston. this little lip is prone to breaking and then your blowback is gone! that lip broke on mine and ammedd up my gears which somehow arced a current through the cheap plastic triger assembly and melted it! i tried to replace it but a basic replacement doesnt fit in the APS gearbox so i had to get a new gearbox! and the first thing i did was take out the blowback! the new gearbox was coming in at 1.28j which wasnt good at all! i put bout 20,000 rounds through it and it was still coming in at 1.14j so i had to cut the spring!
    i will say this though, if you open it up and take out the blowback and stock up on pmags then it wont let you down! but if gun internals aint your thing then go with a raider! they are a fantastic rifle!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭floppyjoe

had the ASR101. used it twice, broke twice. blowback broke twice and on my last game mag broke, then a metal pin from some where on the gun made it's way down my brand new madbul 6.03 barrel, cloging in and destroying the gearbox and the barrel. also constanly misfed with other mags. Brought it back and got a refund staight away. Got a G&P MOE carbine instead.

APS are total rubish and I would advise people to stear clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

floppyjoe wrote: »
    had the ASR101. used it twice, broke twice. blowback broke twice and on my last game mag broke, then a metal pin from some where on the gun made it's way down my brand new madbul 6.03 barrel, cloging in and destroying the gearbox and the barrel. also constanly misfed with other mags. Brought it back and got a refund staight away. Got a G&P MOE carbine instead.

Just curious, how did you get a refund when you disassembled your airsoft rifle and did custom work to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭floppyjoe

I didn't. barrel was fitted by retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Maybe was just a bad batch, im using mine since last Christmas atleast twice a month if not more. I've never had anything more major then a blown fuse. The only thing i have changed internally is a new tighbore,hopup unit/rubber and the blowback removed( not that it needed to be just that it eats the batteries.)

I didn't. barrel was fitted by retailer.

That's grand so.

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Maybe was just a bad batch, im using mine since last Christmas atleast twice a month if not more. I've never had anything more major then a blown fuse. The only thing i have changed internally is a new tighbore,hopup unit/rubber and the blowback removed( not that it needed to be just that it eats the batteries.)

Same here. The "only" problem I had was mine was a blown fuse, which one day I went outside, loaded it up and started firing it. I didn't realised that the fuse was blown, so I kept firing it and my battery connectors melted into my A.P.S. ASR103, and the fuse box melted onto the fuse.

Awful... but after the problem was sorted, my A.P.S. ASR103 is working all right now.

Same here. The "only" problem I had was mine was a blown fuse, which one day I went outside, loaded it up and started firing it. I didn't realised that the fuse was blown, so I kept firing it and my battery connectors melted into my A.P.S. ASR103, and the fuse box melted onto the fuse.

Awful... but after the problem was sorted, my A.P.S. ASR103 is working all right now.
    Errr, if the fuse is blown, the gun will not fire - it's a fail safe. It cuts the current, effectively turning it off...

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Errr, if the fuse is blown, the gun will not fire - it's a fail safe. It cuts the current, effectively turning it off...

Well my A.P.S. ASR103 should have stopped, because it kept on firing which is weird.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭airsofter.adam

the fps is too high :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Well my A.P.S. ASR103 should have stopped, because it kept on firing which is weird.:confused:

Its literally impossible for it to keep firing with a blown fuse.
    There is no current going through the gun without it and it will cease to fire.
    It must have been something completely different than a blown fuse.

From some of my technology classes before I believe that if you can pass a large enough current through a fuse it can melt and end up connecting the circuit again. Fuses are designed to melt as a failsafe, yes. But if a current much larger than the current they're designed to fail after is passed through them they can end up melting and reforming a link which electrical current can pass through.

It can happen, but is highly improbable. But like people have said it was probably something else as I don't think that high of a current wwould have been flowing in the AEG at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

simple answer is that there was a short somewhere else in the circuit that by passed the fuse, seen it happen a number of times

Must of been magic that did it, still have to buy a new 9.6V 1'600mAH battery any ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭OddysAirsoft

Lol Lefty - that is the stand out comedic quote of the decade! Not the first time used and prob won't be the last -very funny though!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Matqo

Here is the review of APS AKS-74 : http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/index.php?topic=17071.0 Looks like M4 is pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ion9

I assume you heard about it from the review OddysAirsoft did? Is there any retailer in Ireland that sells this gun? I want one too but I'm not sure If I can import one.

Advertisement