Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many subjects did you sit for the L.C?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I did 5

English
    Maths
    Tech Drawing
    Construction (wood work)
    Engineering (Metal Work)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

9 for Next year!

Irish :(
    English :D
    Maths :D
    French :(
    Music :D
    Business :D
    Geography :D
    Economics :D
    LCVP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Maths (O)
    English
    French (O)
    Geography
    Business
    Biology
    Chemistry
    LCVP

Done French with the intention of going to UCC,
    As I'd need a language for majority of courses,
    Now I'm going to UL, seemed a bit of a waste so moved down week before Pres.
    Actually enjoy OL French... Laugh at it in comparison to HL, no essay, I could answer the Listening before hearing the tape and still get a good 50% Lovely.
    Maths moved down start of 6th year. Missed a large quantity of 5th year with a broken ankle and struggling anyway so decided it was best.
    On first glance loved the course and neglected studying... 63% in Pres woke me up and I'm aiming for an A1/A2 now.
    All other HL so aiming for B-ish all round.
    Distinction in LCVP too.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Irish
    English
    Maths
    French
    Latin
    construction Studies
    Physics
    Chemistry

All HL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why do people do 9 subjects? :/ whats the point?

Does this LCVP count in your 6 subjects or is it outside?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

AdamD wrote: »

Does this LCVP count in your 6 subjects or is it outside?
    why wouldnt LCVP not count in someones 6 subjects?? It can get a max of 70 points and you are guaranteed 30 points(you would have to be very thick to fail it) so it is a very helpful subject especially if you do a couple of subjects at pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

AdamD wrote: »

I did it because I need French to get into NUI Colleges and Im not too strong at Maths. I did those at Ordinary level. We have to do 7 subjects in school, I picked Music as an elective (offered by the school in place of P.E) because I've played all my life and then I did Biology outside of school to have another subject I could do well in. I suppose its all about maximising your potential for ponts. If I had stuck with just my original 7 subjects I would have had to count either ordinary French or Maths for points. Now I can count Biology or Music, both of which I should do well in. It does take more effort but I did zero study on Maths or French until the nights before the exams. I barely even did homework in them. I was really only studying 7 subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

I'm doing 8 ;)
    I think is good to do 8 if you have e.g 2 OL subject and you still want high points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Did 6 myself;

French
    Geography
    Phys-Chem
    Economics
    Construction
    Ag Science

LCVP counts but you can get a max of 70 points...
    so if you are aiming for e.g 600 and you are doing only 6 subjects than 2 OL you don't get it... so you have to do 9 to possibly get 600 (you don't count your 2 OL)

• Advertisement

Does LCVP count in your 6 subjects, or do you take the points from your best 6 and add those 70 on?

it counts to your 6
    it's not an extra 70 points like with HL maths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I'm doing 9 subjects for the Leaving Cert (2012)
    The seven I am actually studying (all HL) are:
    Geography
    Religion
    Business
    Biology
    Chemistry
    German
    Irish
    (English and Maths I only need a pass so not studying them... two most useless subjects ever)

English and Maths are far more useful than Irish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i found irish the most useless ........ i think maths is more important anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

I did 8 at higher level, mostly just coz I could

English
    Irish
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    Maths
    Applied maths

Was going to do geography as a 9th but I didnt find it anywhere near interesting enough to go through myself so I stuck withh the 8

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Geo10 wrote: »
    (English and Maths I only need a pass so not studying them... two most useless subjects ever)

...Are you kidding. English and Maths are the two most important subjects. Period.

3/4 of the staff that we learn for LC maths is useless
    just think of it... how many times in your life you will use probability or the sin rule ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

angela1711 wrote: »
    3/4 of the staff that we learn for LC maths is useless
    just think of it... how many times in your life you will use probability or the sin rule ?
    Most people will probably (Pun most certainly intended) end up using probability in some way or form throughout their lives. As for the sin rule and most other trigonometric laws they can be pretty useful in day-to-day life depending on your hobbies.

MegGustaa wrote: »
    ...Are you kidding. English and Maths are the two most important subjects. Period.

Yeah because I can't live without knowing the cosine rule or being able to quote from hamlet.:rolleyes:
    The fact is they're the only two subjects I've never used outside the classroom. Period :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Yeah because I can't live without knowing the cosine rule or being able to quote from hamlet.:rolleyes:
    The fact is they're the only two subjects I've never used outside the classroom. Period :D:D:D
    You've never used English out of the classroom?

A recent study showed that the best indicators of progress at third level were grades in Leaving Cert Maths and English. People who did well in them (particularly Maths) were more likely to do well in university.

Anytime you write an essay for any subject (Geography, Religion?), you're using skills you learned in English. And anytime you do a calculation for Chemistry, that's Maths, isn't it? How can you possibly say you've never used English or Maths outside the classroom if you're saying you can use the other subjects? Logically fallacious, your argument is.

/rant

You've never used English out of the classroom?

Sorry, I'm at fault here. I wasn't making myself clear, I just presumed you understood what I was talking about.
    I meant Leaving Cert English not the language itself. :D

MegGustaa wrote: »
    A recent study showed that the best indicators of progress at third level were grades in Leaving Cert Maths and English. People who did well in them (particularly Maths) were more likely to do well in university.

Anytime you write an essay for any subject (Geography, Religion?), you're using skills you learned in English. And anytime you do a calculation for Chemistry, that's Maths, isn't it? How can you possibly say you've never used English or Maths outside the classroom if you're saying you can use the other subjects? Logically fallacious, your argument is.

/rant
    Sorry, again I'm at fault. I meant Leaving Cert English and Leaving Cert Maths were useless. :D I thought you knew what I meant... no worries!
    I knew how to write essays from Primary school Irish and then just applied the methodology to everything else I guess, perfecting my skills at writing them as I got older. Again... any maths I use in other subjects is learned in primary school and filling into formulae I don't learn in Leaving Cert Maths. :)

No bother though. I can see you thought I meant the actual areas of English and maths, an that you did not realise I meant the LC subjects. :D

Yes... what hobby's involve trigonometry ? Or why do u have to now all of this poems ?
    LC maths is useless that's it :) we need maths okey but not that complicated
    if you will finish your maths on primary level you be still able to do chemistry calculations or accounting etc

Yes... what hobby's involve trigonometry ? Or why do u have to now all of this poems ?
    LC maths is useless that's it :) we need maths okey but not that complicated
    if you will finish your maths on primary level you be still able to do chemistry calculations or accounting etc

Exactly! I so agree with you!
    Or at least make maths and English optional after Junior Cert!

yep they should... if someone wants to go further with their maths like computer programming etc. then they could just pick maths or if you want to be journalist you can pick English ;)
    i can agree that maths or english are important because in some way maths develops person intellectual skills etc but they probably never gonna change maths and english and make them optional... i presume their are core subjects in every country, like i mean maths and the language the country is speaking

yep they should... if someone wants to go further with their maths like computer programming etc. then they could just pick maths or if you want to be journalist you can pick English ;)
    i can agree that maths or english are important because in some way maths develops person intellectual skills etc but they probably never gonna change maths and english and make them optional... i presume their are core subjects in every country, like i mean maths and the language the country is speaking

Not in the UK. That's the only other country's education system I know (well I kinda know about the oul schulsystem in Deutschland but not sur about core subjects!). I'm so jealous of my cousin in England who's the same age as me and was allowed give up English and maths after his gcse exams.

Exactly! I so agree with you!
    Or at least make maths and English optional after Junior Cert!

I love how you're making these arguments for these two subjects and not for Irish.

• Advertisement

Okey I didn't know that they can drop maths and english in England :D seems great
    well in Poland maths use to be not on LC like you had to do it but you don't have to write LC from it but polish was core subject and every one have to write LC from it... unfortunately maths come back as the core subject this year or last year and everyone have to write LC from it...

Advertisement