Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many subjects did you sit for the L.C?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I love how you're making these arguments for these two subjects and not for Irish.

Irish is our national language. Dropping it for the LC would stop people going to Gaelscoileanna, Gaeltachtai etc. It would be a travesty if that happened.
    Tir gan teanga, tir gan anam.
    I don't understand why people would not want to learn their own cultural, beautiful language that defines this country. West Brits I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Geo10 wrote: »
    Irish is our national language. Dropping it for the LC would stop people going to Gaelscoileanna, Gaeltachtai etc. It would be a travesty if that happened.
    I don't understand why people would not want to learn their own cultural, beautiful language that defines this country. West Brits I suppose :D

Equally, making English non-compulsory for the Leaving would give the impression that it's not as incredibly important as it is. Good for you that you apparently had good enough essay-writing skills at 12 to compose a Leaving Cert Geography essay, but I know for a fact that not everyone does. Hence devoting classes to literacy and literature is necessary throughout the second level system, not just until Junior Cert.

As for Maths? It's not as obviously useful to everyone as English, but it requires a different kind of thinking to most subjects. Not so much learning off, leaning more and more towards problem solving and analysis, it develops us in ways beyond applying the cosine rule or finding the polar form of a complex number.

Yes, the curricula need to be addressed, but those processes are already under way. Project Maths has already been rolled out, and yeah it's not perfect but it's progress.

I don't even know why I'm debating this. They're not going to make English or Maths optional in the Leaving Cert unless radical (and I mean radical) changes are made to its structure. Even then, the emphasis is being placed on improving literacy and numeracy...

Irish shouldn't be made optional, either, mind you. But it'd be optional before English, I'm telling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Wow.. this all started because I said I wasn't studying either... just focusing on getting a D3. Each to their own, eh?:D
    I actually don't mind the arithmetic or statistics parts of maths! Just to say I don't completely hate the subject! Geog btw can be written in bullet points if you wish except geoecology for which you just have you know how to make paragraphs.... just saying!:D
    Anyway, let's agree to disagree as the say!!
    Auf Wiedersehen!
    Edit: Oops that should really be auf Wiederhören! Not that it matters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

at least we have a choice between higher and ordinary maths and english :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

angela1711 wrote: »
    Yes... what hobby's involve trigonometry ?
    Metalwork and modelmaking for one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MedMan101

I dont agree with this. Irish is a dying language and i found it a waste of time to learn. I done higher level and I regretted everyday of it. You're forced to learn pages and pages off and then just replicate them in the exam. Both the English and Irish course needs to be revised to make thek more interesting and beneficial to learn. When will we ever need to use irish poetry or english poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

MedMan101 wrote: »

I dont agree with this. Irish is a dying language and i found it a waste of time to learn. I done higher level and I regretted everyday of it. You're forced to learn pages and pages off and then just replicate them in the exam. Both the English and Irish course needs to be revised to make thek more interesting and beneficial to learn. When will we ever need to use irish poetry or english poetry?

I agree - either Irish should be optional or the syllabus should be drastically revised. They're going in the right direction by making the oral worth 40% though

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

I disagree with the comment above, purely because I feel that if I had to learn irish, and all my friends had to learn irish then everyone else should have to as well.

Advertisement