Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head or heart?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a secure job, which I've been in for a couple of years. It's good for another two years, minimum. Crap money right now, huge money in a couple of years when I'm fully qualified. Extremely stressful and miserable, very very crazily long hours.

I've just been offered a job with normal working hours for a lot more money (not amazing money, but quite decent.) It's only a nine month contract, but there is a fairly strong possibility of that being extended, and it's an absolutely amazing name to have on your CV, even if only for nine months. It's a lot more relevant to my long term career, I hope.

My head says stick with the job security, despite hating every working second. My heart says to go with the experience and screw the long-term finances, it'll work out somehow.

Any words of wisdom? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Is there anyway you can gain the qualification if you go to the other co?

If you really hate the job now...whats to say being qualified with a higher salary will make you like the job anymore later on? Money isnt everything...its nice to have...but i think its better to have a smaller amount and be happy than loads and be miserable

as for job security...well that can change very quickly - what you think is secure now may not be in 6mths time...and a contract can usually turn into a peremanent position if you do well (and the company is doing well)- the trick is to make yourself indispensible!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

I'd say give the new place a shot. It doesn't sound like you are too happy where you currently are, and are maybe only staying on the hope it picks up and that you get more money in future.

Think about how much you will kick yourself in the backside if this time next year they let you go, or massive paycuts come in meaning you dont' get better money.

I'm a bit biased in my opinion tho, had a decision like what you have now - I chose the wrong one and stayed where I was. Still wonder what might have been..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'd try the new place. Sounds like you really hate job no 1 , and if that gets any worse ,you might have to leave it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would be reluctant to swap a permanent position for a short term contract in this environment.
    Will the raise in salary over the nine months equate to three months out of work looking for a job at the end of the contract ?

Is the possibility of it being extended depend on the business or your performance ?
    Not sure where you are in your career ,but I would try negotiate a permanent position with maybe six months and 12 month performance reviews.
    Otherwise I would keep what you have and keep looking for a permanent position.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

What did you do tworoads? and how did it work out ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

I have a secure job, which I've been in for a couple of years. It's good for another two years, minimum. Crap money right now, huge money in a couple of years when I'm fully qualified. Extremely stressful and miserable, very very crazily long hours.

I've just been offered a job with normal working hours for a lot more money (not amazing money, but quite decent.) It's only a nine month contract, but there is a fairly strong possibility of that being extended, and it's an absolutely amazing name to have on your CV, even if only for nine months. It's a lot more relevant to my long term career, I hope.

My head says stick with the job security, despite hating every working second. My heart says to go with the experience and screw the long-term finances, it'll work out somehow.

Any words of wisdom? :o

Go for it, careerwise you won't regret the things you did, you'll regret the things you didn't do.

Advertisement