Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into a course without a required subject?

• 23-06-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

I was looking at Human Nutrition and Dietetics in DIT/TCD and one of the requirements is a HC3 in Chemistry. I didn't do Chemistry for the LC (I did Biology) and I was wondering if I rang them do you think there's ANY chance they could consider offering me a place if I got the points?

Anyone been there, done that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

not a hope. I'm open to correction. but there not going to bend the rules for one person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Obviously Not.

What's the point in having requirements if you allow people who didn't meet them to still do the course?

(With the exception of those who have exemptions in languages etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I know of someone who did business or catering or something like that in DIT and LC French was a requirement. SHe didn't do it. She rang, wrote etc and they invited her for an interview and she got in.

The reason I'm asking is because this was a good 20 years ago and wanted to know if it still happens today.

I know of someone who did business or catering or something like that in DIT and LC French was a requirement. SHe didn't do it. She rang, wrote etc and they invited her for an interview and she got in.

The reason I'm asking is because this was a good 20 years ago and wanted to know if it still happens today.

alot has changed in 20 years though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm sure it might be possible in the unlikely situation where a course was not filled and they needed a certain number of students to run it, but in the normal run of events I don't think it would happen.

• Advertisement

Sunny!! wrote: »
    alot has changed in 20 years though.

Hence the question :P
    spurious wrote: »
    I'm sure it might be possible in the unlikely situation where a course was not filled and they needed a certain number of students to run it, but in the normal run of events I don't think it would happen.

Thank you. Just hoped someone knew of someone who had done this recently! Can't see that course not being filled though, it's 540 points as it is :rolleyes:

Anyone know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hence the question :P

Thank you. Just hoped someone knew of someone who had done this recently! Can't see that course not being filled though, it's 540 points as it is :rolleyes:

Anyone know?

No, 540 points means lots of people want to do it, so it won't be undersubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

. . .I'd say you'll be lucky. . .often these requirements are necessary because various parts of the course will require leaving cert higher chemistry knowledge as a prerequiste. . .I'm in a similar boat, can't do a 5 year med course in Cork because I don't have chemistry, have to do 6 year med in Dublin instead. . .

. . .have you considered Nutritional Sciences in UCC, they only require a HC1 in one of maths, applied maths, or a lab science. . .

spurious wrote: »
    No, 540 points means lots of people want to do it, so it won't be undersubscribed.

Aye 'tis what I said :o or what I meant anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Definitely not - I know someone in the exact same situation as yourself with the same course and the only way they could do dietetics was to go to the UK

• Advertisement

Definitely not - I know someone in the exact same situation as yourself with the same course and the only way they could do dietetics was to go to the UK

I applied to the UK but to no avail :( I specifically asked if I would be considered without chem and even though they said yes that's exactly why they declined to give me an offer! Waste of money applying!

Do you know if the person enquired about it?

this answers the q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I applied to the UK but to no avail :( I specifically asked if I would be considered without chem and even though they said yes that's exactly why they declined to give me an offer! Waste of money applying!

Do you know if the person enquired about it?

Yes they did, the only options given were to repeat Chemistry the following year or do a general science course and apply as a mature student. They went to Aberdeen in the end

Yes they did, the only options given were to repeat Chemistry the following year or do a general science course and apply as a mature student. They went to Aberdeen in the end

Thanks for that. Question answered! :D (well :( really but at least I know the answer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have a look at the Physiology and Health Science course in Carlow IT. A lot of people use that to get into some of the health science courses in the UK - physio, dietetics, OT.

Course info: http://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/science/science-health/cw106.htm

Here's a thread that might interest you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72917937#post72917937

Advertisement