Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulsterbank World Mastercard

• 23-06-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

In today's post, I am informed that, as a valued customer, I am to have a credit card upgrade from the normal Mastercard to the new World Mastercard. This is to be automatically done unless I phone in to cancel the change. The blurb in the post seems to suggest it is a vast improvement on the regular card, but I'm suspicious to say the least.

Can anyone advise on its shortcomings.

I found a website (http://www.realmofprosperity.com/2010/06/what-does-no-pre-set-spending-limit-mean-for-my-credit-score/), which gave information re the card not having "no pre-set spending limit" on it, and indicating that this could affect your credit rating, as the way spending is reported to the various credit agencies could make you look like a credit unworthy individual. This related to an English "Citi World Mastercard", but I assume it applies to Ulsterbank too?

The Card information at ulsterbank is at http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/credit-cards/g4/world-card.ashx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, it doesn't. Just because it has a similar name, do not assume it's the same thing. World is just a word in the same way that "Gold" or "Click" or "Clear" or "Platinum" are attached as names to credit cards by different banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Sounds more like a scam letter tbh.

Ring you branch to confirm the letter is the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Its the real thing OK - OP, I received one also - I'm guessing you have an expiry of 11/11 on your existing card. I cant see any drawback to the new card other than the hassle of modifying any direct debits you may have against your current card as you will have a new CC number. If you refuse this card, I presume you continue to keep your existing CC number (previously a new CC was issued with same number and new expiry date). I have some direct debits against the card (mobile phone, insurance etc) and will have to contact them to advise of the new CC number. Other than that - seems to have some additional benefits such as extended warranty, purchase protection for products bought with the card

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hellbent

Thanks for your input all. While the World card does look ok on the Ulsterbank website, I still wonder why they are not simply improving the cover for the EXISTING card, retaining the same CC number, and inflicting no change to terms and conditions. Also it seems odd, does it not, that customers have to opt OUT rather than IN - and by phone too, with no method via internet.

I'll wait awhile before I make any decision about the upgrade. Strange times like these demand lots of scrutiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jcougha

hi, i actually rang UB credit cards about this letter as the mastercard is actually on a higher interest rate than the regular visa card. i was told that UB are phasing out all their visa cards and moving to mastercard?????!!!!! so, in other words, i have no choice but to move onto a higher interest card???? :confused: i was told yes, and if i didnt like it, i caould close my account????!!!! like, hello???? :mad: i was pretty annoyed at being told this so rang my own branch who rang the credit card centre for me and then rang me to tell me they had no idea why i was told this becuase if i wanted to "opt out" of the scheme, i could just ring the number and do so. so i did, but of a saga, but sorted now. i cant afford to be put onto a higher rate card these days!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

So if you opt out are you keeping your Visa card ? Or having to move to a regular MasterCard (and not a World MasterCard) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jcougha

nope, if you choose to optout then you stay as you are ie. keep your visa card. thats what i did. i think its 16.6% whereas the worl mastercard is 16.9% and like you, i was suspicious as to why i was being switched so chose to stay with visa. no probs. you have till 22nd july i think to change or stay the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WXF

I have UB Zinc Matercard and noticed yesterday in my online banking that the mc account number has been changed from 5434... to 5206... So I called UB credit card support centre, and was advised by representative that I was issued a new UB World Mastercard, but I still can use my Zinc MC until the expiry date (which is October this year).
    I am abroad for a few months, so I wasn't able to read the relevant letter from UB, and I'd like to continue with my Zinc MC, I like this card and the services it offers, so could please anyone clarify this matter?

PS. The customer services representative was not very helpful in this case, she told me that the difference in "world" MC is just "some additional insurance"....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WXF

I know there's someone from UB reading and replying in this forum quite often.
    Please do not hesitate to reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

Have been using the 'World Mastercard' since the change was introduced and have noticed no difference with the Zinc card.

In common with another poster, I had been satisfied with my Zinc card. I telephoned the number provided to request that I retain my existing card as was allowed for in the correspondence. Turned out that making this call was a wasted effort on my behalf as it was duly ignored by Ulster Bank. Was a bit of hassle then to change the number on direct debits, but no other problems came up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement