Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling and Number Plates

• 23-06-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just curious as to why do people black out or hide their number-plates on bikes when placing ads to sell it. Whats the point? what can possibly happen if a potential buyer knows your plate number?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Do you know what a 'ringer' is? Someone might have a car or bike identical to yours and they can clock up speed fines in your name etc. What about ANPR systems? If they have the same vehicle as you, they can put the same plate on and the Guards ANPR systems will show they have tax and insurance etc so they avoid having to get their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

No i have not, thanks a lot for the info tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

What's stopping them from seeing the numberplate in a carpark or any other public place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Well a lot of people dont put a tax disc on their bike due to them being robbed.
    But in a lot of for sale ads people will say if the bike is taxed and until when.

So at least if someone copys your plate they seen in an ad they can be sure the copied bike reg has in date tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    What's stopping them from seeing the numberplate in a carpark or any other public place?

TBH, I think making a point of blocking your numbr plate out is a bit of a waste of time but I'm sure if I were thinking about driving a ringer, the first thing I'd do is find an identical vehicle as far away from me as possible. That makes the net the perfect shop window for the budding ringer owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

cantdecide wrote: »
    TBH, I think making a point of blocking your numbr plate out is a bit of a waste of time but I'm sure if I were thinking about driving a ringer, the first thing I'd do is find an identical vehicle as far away from me as possible. That makes the net the perfect shop window for the budding ringer owner.

Back over two decades ago i knew a friend of a friend who had some associates at this. The guy is 6ft under about 10 years now.

They used to steal a tourists motorcycle, in Dublin, clone the bike with a dublin reg and move it on down to another of their associates in another part of the country who would sell the clone on. The poor buyer would think he was getting a bargain until 6 months later when they went to tax the bike things would get a little confusing........

Advertisement