Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Factory Prices

• 23-06-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Well, time to get out the crystal ball.

Have a few lads near fit for off to factory but as usual this time of the year, the factories are trying to talk down prices when the kill is still under 30,000 and there is a shortage in Scotland according to IFJ.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what the prices will do over next few months. I'd say a lot of cattle could do with another month before being fit off grass. Story is about 1.28p/lb (3.58 euro/kg) for R now.

Any insider knowledge on boards!!!!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

I dont think prices will hold up, i'd say to move anything that is fit. Just look at the price of cows lately - there falling week on week. I can see a lot of extra cows available this year due to the country heading to be over milk quota, this in turn will hold down the steer price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

TUBBY wrote: »
    Well, time to get out the crystal ball.

Have a few lads near fit for off to factory but as usual this time of the year, the factories are trying to talk down prices when the kill is still under 30,000 and there is a shortage in Scotland according to IFJ.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what the prices will do over next few months. I'd say a lot of cattle could do with another month before being fit off grass. Story is about 1.28p/lb (3.58 euro/kg) for R now.

Any insider knowledge on boards!!!!!:D

I don't have any insider knowledge but I do know that the IFJ will always talk the trade up (no harm) the factories and agents will always talk it down and that when one factory drops it's quotes they all will. Finished cattle could become scarse later on this summer and back end so hopefully prices will hold up. Have heifers fit in a month myself. Would like to think ill get 3.80 for them. You have to shop around for the best price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

This is my theory
    everytime that justin mc"carthy tells us that the kill is down and that cattle are scarce ,and to hold out for higher prices.
    The factories pull the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

all i know is their is f all cattle anywhere around here alot of lads are cutting bales because they couldnt buy cattle. so are they around your country. dont think they will go any higher but will bounce around 300c/k+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

most farmers are fully stocked around here , maybe cut back a bit on fertilizers,

however some are now grazing screws of friesian bulls and cull cows instead of coloured steers and heifers

got a fair amount of cows to move ourselves and can't see them too strong in the back end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tvo

killed a few today @3.58 factory saying prices going to be pulled in next couple of weeks. you just don't know they always seem to be about to drop prices

• Registered Users Posts: 47 yupyupyup

did u factory them cattle tubby? i killed bullocks about a month ago @ 3.58 base. a neighbour of mine killed a load of hefrs @3.64 bout 2 weeks ago but i hear today they've gone up bout 2pence/6cent. cattle seem to b very scarce cos facotries normally pull prices around now, not increse them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

yupyupyup wrote: »
    did u factory them cattle tubby? i killed bullocks about a month ago @ 3.58 base. a neighbour of mine killed a load of hefrs @3.64 bout 2 weeks ago but i hear today they've gone up bout 2pence/6cent. cattle seem to b very scarce cos facotries normally pull prices around now, not increse them!!

Got 365 cent/kg off the grid for mostly o grade heifers at the start of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Well Yupyup, factoried them alright. got on well. Averaged just over 1320 each so happy enough. 3.63 base for R two weeks ago.

killed off grass too with few kg of meal. reckoned why would a lad sell on cattle for less than they worth even if not fully finished in factory.

Weighed them and it worked out roughly EUR2.15/kg liveweight. Would be hard get that in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 yupyupyup

excellent money tubby. how long were u feedin them fr?? 5/6 weeks?? spose it depends on how fleshed they are. u must have been averagin bout 360 kgs dw??? an u say u weighed them? what was the kill out %? sounds about 57, 58% based on wha ur saying, thats an excellent kill out. i find cattle kill great off grass. are u a store man or suckler?? i bought replacemtn hefrs fr a neighbour, nice shapey R+'s averaged 400 kgs €880. its crazy money fr yearlings but thats wha happens when beef gets dear.

• Advertisement

You dead right Yupyup. I starting to buy back now and there is nothing cheap for sure. Still if ya get it when selling, cant expect to buy back for nothing I suppose:D

had another batch out today. Much the same weights but graded a bit better (mostly U's) and price/kg bit better too. Not many cattle in the factories. Lads that would hum and haw about giving you a p/lb extra before this are listening to what you want now rather than telling you what you will get.

All killing out at 57% to 59% for the really nice shaped ones.

Most of the bulls are getting into 355-360kg of grass and 3-4kg meal (high energy). They on meal for last 8 weeks with a gradual increase to the 4kg.

They are middling fleshy but not brilliant (2+ to 3- mostly). Gas thing is the bullocks I sold being treated the same were nearly over-fat so it shows the difference to me first hand.

Lads were telling me to shed bulls to finish as they never finish off grass but i just split them into very small groups, kept them moving round and mealed them. They are quiet cattle in fariness which helps though.
    Too much money tied up ad-libbing them and then no guarantee that price would stay as it is. I reckon factories will start trying to get back control in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Lads were telling me to shed bulls to finish as they never finish off grass but i just split them into very small groups, kept them moving round and mealed them. They are quiet cattle in fariness which helps though.
    Too much money tied up ad-libbing them and then no guarantee that price would stay as it is. I reckon factories will start trying to get back control in the next few weeks.

talk is cheap, when we used to be at bull in a big way they were all outside on a system similar to yourself going back 10yrs or so now. I also agree about ad-lib meals, might look good on paper but when there is maybe 250 yo yo's owed to the miller once there are dead it takes the gloss off of them. Nowadays have very little bull as I just dont have the time for them as they take a little more minding

Not many cattle in the factories this week, well back on last week. My call for cattle this week is a sell

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I see 'quoted' price for cull cows has bounced up a bit over the last couple of weeks, anyone got an actual price for this week?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

blue5000 wrote: »
    I see 'quoted' price for cull cows has bounced up a bit over the last couple of weeks, anyone got an actual price for this week?
    have some going tomorrow , will let ya know when i get the cheque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Cull cow price has been flat for the last few weeks, with a little pressure coming on next week

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dryan

got rid of 10 today - 3.64/kg in moyvalley for R-grade bullocks.

killed out well.
    I reckon i would have got better money for them in the mart though!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

blue5000 wrote: »

not this week, killed cows last week in ashbourne, friesians

could have done with more flesh but we are over stocked
    tops 310.6 back to a canner 224

whelan1 wrote: »
    have some going tomorrow , will let ya know when i get the cheque

Theres something that bugs me. If you send cattle to factory and dont go yourself, you have to wait 8 to 10 days for cheque. Not many places will let you wait 8-10 days now after getting about 18K worth of materials.

Also, on the point of another post, I saw cattle going 780 with weight yesterday for 640kg cattle in ballinasloe but in general any factory cattle would have done better in the factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Theres something that bugs me. If you send cattle to factory and dont go yourself, you have to wait 8 to 10 days for cheque. Not many places will let you wait 8-10 days now after getting about 18K worth of materials.

Also, on the point of another post, I saw cattle going 780 with weight yesterday for 640kg cattle in ballinasloe but in general any factory cattle would have done better in the factory.
    i should have the cheque by post either on friday or monday...oh dropped them up to factory earlier this morning

thats the way it should be whelan1. hope they kill out well 4 ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

dryan wrote: »
    got rid of 10 today - 3.64/kg in moyvalley for R-grade bullocks.

killed out well.
    I reckon i would have got better money for them in the mart though!! :confused:

was this a flat price or the base price of the Grid.

Advertisement