Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic (noob) questions about PhD

Options
  • 23-06-2011 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi, so I've searched around this forum a bit but didn't find answers and the department websites I've read haven't been overly detailed (the UCD website was one of the view where I found an actual application form); so I've 2 questions about applying for a phd :)

1) Should I email and meet with a potential supervisor before applying for a phd? This seems really odd to me, is it the norm? I don't want to weird them out...
    2) Do phd applications have deadlines? Could I apply now and start at the beginning of any semester or do I apply before September and start in semseter 1 as most courses do?

Oh, and I'll be applying for a phd in the Arts & Humanities. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thesis.direct

1) Should I email and meet with a potential supervisor before applying for a phd? This seems really odd to me, is it the norm? I don't want to weird them out...

Yes you should, if you want to get in. It is not like a job application or taught course application. You will need the support of a perspective supervisor to get admitted. Do your research and approach the person in the Department closest to your research interests. It is very important to do this.

2) Do phd applications have deadlines? Could I apply now and start at the beginning of any semester or do I apply before September and start in semseter 1 as most courses do?

Increasingly, application and start dates are becoming standardised. Rules vary by University and Department.

Advertisement