Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Ford Transit Windows

• 23-06-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭

I have being searching the length and breath of the country in search of windows to suite a 1996 Transit that I am converting to a camper van. I have being on the phone every day for the last two weeks ringing breakers yards north and south, conversion company's, windscreen replacement company's and even bus operators, all to no avail.

Several people I have spoken to have said that they can no longer be got. I rang a company in the north and he said to get a local windscreen replacement company to make them up as they would have the tools and the proper glass to do so. This was great news to me at the time as I thought all my problems had been solved. On foot of this advice I decided to find a local company to cut the windows for me, I wont say who they were but I will say that they were as helpful as they possibly could. The guy I spoke to was a very nice fellow, however he informed me that there was no point in him cutting the glass for me as the windows are curved, to be honest this is a fact that I was unaware of until he told me. I had to take a look at the van to convince myself as I genuinely thought the windows were flat, however on inspection he was proven correct and I was back on the internet following endless trails of nothingness.

I did come across a few did come across a few windows on in the UK that were on ebay but they were not specific to transits. They probably would have done the job the van would have looked crap.

I had given up all hope of finding the windows anywhere until a few hours ago. I came across a web site by pure chance, I had googled windows for a transit a thousand times before and noting came up until this time a company appeared, LVW. I don't know if any of you know them but the appear to do a window for every kind of yoke on the road.

http://www.leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/vehicle-window-brochures/Rubber_Fit_Window_racetruck_horsebox_planton_windows_2011.pdf

Above is a link to there catalog with prices for everything and they even ship internationally.

So why am I here telling you all this, well its simple really, I recon theres loads of people out there doing conversions at the moment that have the same problems as me. I just want to share the information with those people so they have one less headache to worry about. Hope this info helps someone.:)

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with LVW.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Brabazone wrote: »
    I have being searching the length and breath of the country in search of windows to suite a 1996 Transit that I am converting to a camper van. I have being on the phone every day for the last two weeks ringing breakers yards north and south, conversion company's, windscreen replacement company's and even bus operators, all to no avail.

Several people I have spoken to have said that they can no longer be got. I rang a company in the north and he said to get a local windscreen replacement company to make them up as they would have the tools and the proper glass to do so. This was great news to me at the time as I thought all my problems had been solved. On foot of this advice I decided to find a local company to cut the windows for me, I wont say who they were but I will say that they were as helpful as they possibly could. The guy I spoke to was a very nice fellow, however he informed me that there was no point in him cutting the glass for me as the windows are curved, to be honest this is a fact that I was unaware of until he told me. I had to take a look at the van to convince myself as I genuinely thought the windows were flat, however on inspection he was proven correct and I was back on the internet following endless trails of nothingness.

I did come across a few did come across a few windows on in the UK that were on ebay but they were not specific to transits. They probably would have done the job the van would have looked crap.

I had given up all hope of finding the windows anywhere until a few hours ago. I came across a web site by pure chance, I had googled windows for a transit a thousand times before and noting came up until this time a company appeared, LVW. I don't know if any of you know them but the appear to do a window for every kind of yoke on the road.

http://www.leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/vehicle-window-brochures/Rubber_Fit_Window_racetruck_horsebox_planton_windows_2011.pdf

Above is a link to there catalog with prices for everything and they even ship internationally.

So why am I here telling you all this, well its simple really, I recon theres loads of people out there doing conversions at the moment that have the same problems as me. I just want to share the information with those people so they have one less headache to worry about. Hope this info helps someone.:)

Would you consider picking up a non-running transit or other cheap rusty example? Maybe stick some of the other bits on Ebay, if they are scarce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Brabazone wrote: »

Good find and fair play for posting it,,,will be a great help to others,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Did you get them to send the glass, I tried to get ducato windows from them a while back and it was no go. If you haven't ordered yet I could split the postage with ya as I'm looking for a window or two ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

paddyp wrote: »
    Did you get them to send the glass, I tried to get ducato windows from them a while back and it was no go. If you haven't ordered yet I could split the postage with ya as I'm looking for a window or two ;-)

Just got this email from them this morning,

Hi

The windows are no £29.50 each

The Fitting Rubber is £10.25 each

Carriage is £68.50

All + VAT approx 2 weeks delivery from receipt of order as we are closed for holiday shutdown from 28th – 11th July

Order can be processed with card over phone....

Regards

Paul

In euro that working out at 166.50 at todays exchange rate. I know the P&P is high but I was expecting that as it is extremely fragile. I am going to wait to order them until the 11th of July as I am going on holidays in the next week so I wont be around to take delivery.

PM me your details and I will give you a bell. We will see if we can sort out a better deal with them if we make our order one lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not to put a damper on it, but I got one very handy in a breakers in Ballina. Dempseys. That, or partfinder.ie could have helped you track them down.

Another thing I would suggest would be a minibus yard, they'd often have buses lying up off the road.....

Good work on finding it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Brabazone,

did your windows arrive? Were you happy with the order / shipping?

I'm looking at sourcing windows for my conversion as well, would be good to have this option in case I am unable to source the windows here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Forgot all about this .. thats what you get for posting at nearly 4am after a few pints :-) I'll pm you now even though I;m sure you've ordered the glass by now.

Advertisement