Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prospects for a French/language teacher

• 23-06-2011 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Obviously I know that things are pretty dire at the moment for all languages but what are and were the prospects for lets say a French & German NQT or French & Spanish NQT at the moment??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

A few years ago I had my own hours. I wasnt qualified but had been asked to take hours in a friends school because they were stuck. My friend had only been working in the school a year and I dont know any principals or have any teachers in my family. That is how desperate this school was for a French teacher. I did my dip and the hours I had worked went to a qualified teacher. She has since been cut to 11 hours. I have French, Spanish and German and have not been unemployed but I have not had hours of my own. I have been 4 years looking and am willing to work in any part of the country but only seem to get called to interview for mat leaves and career breaks. I have an interview tomorrow for an RPT hours but it is a 10 hour contract. I have found that French appears to be the best subject to have, but this could depend on the school. The job situation is tough but I would imagine MFL is an easier subject to get a break in than say English,History and some others.

Advertisement