Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL or OL Maths?

• 23-06-2011 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

How did you decide on which level to do for maths.I would love to try HL but will be luckly to get a D or a C in my junior cert.Am i mad trying it or should i just do OL?Any thoughts on this you can give me would be helpful.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i got a C and dropped straight away, people who got A's even had trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

juncert wrote: »
    How did you decide on which level to do for maths.I would love to try HL but will be luckly to get a D or a C in my junior cert.Am i mad trying it or should i just do OL?Any thoughts on this you can give me would be helpful.thanks

I don't have a clue about the new project maths but maybe it will suit you more than the old course?

I got an A in HL Junior Cert and did OL for the LC. Yes I could probably scraped a C or a low B in HL Leaving Cert but I did it in 5th year. I enjoyed maths and was getting B's in 5th year but I was spending so much time on it! I dropped to pass at the start of 6th year.

I am still glad I did and do not regret it. However, there are people who tell me that employers don't respect people who do OL LC maths? How true this is I don't know (it's BS imo) but it's really down to you at the end of the day.

If you are scraping a D or C in HL Junior Cert I would advise not to but you could try it for a few weeks at the start of 5th year. You can always drop but it would be almost impossible to move up.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

It depends on the work you're putting in to get that D or C. If you're putting in a fair bit of work then I wouldn't do Honours for LC. If you're doing no work then you should give Hons a try at least.

It also depends on your other subjects. I know guys who got B's in the JC but didn't even try Hons for the LC because they had other subjects which were easier for them and took up less time. Weigh up these things and if you're not sure then just try Hons for a few weeks or months even. It's the only way to know really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Thanks
    I really only worked for 4 weeks before mocks and then 4-5 weeks before junior cert always did homework and did 2 all day revision courses.thanks for replies:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Thanks
    I really only worked for 4 weeks before mocks and then 4-5 weeks before junior cert always did homework and did 2 all day revision courses.thanks for replies:D

I think you should do OL :)

Unless you're really modest and get an A in the JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

This ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Do HL, but be prepared to work. . .HL Maths opens doors to courses not open to OL students. . .the reason engineering points are low at the moment in universities is that they are restricted to HL students. . .also all maths courses and certain other science courses require HL maths. . .don't start restricting your choice at this stage, especially if you expect to pass JC Maths without too much effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

In my class anyway, the grades for the JC didn't necessarily reflect that well on the LC grades. One guy who got an A is now getting C's, and two other guys, one got a C and the other did ordinary level for the JC are now A students.

If you're like me, you might just find maths "click" in fifth year, so definitely don't rule it out, especially just after the junior. If you do find it hard then by all means drop, but end of third year is way too early to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

With the bonus points ye're getting I think anybody capable of a D would be mad not to do higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I got an A in JC Maths (which I didn't find too difficult) but I found LCHL maths impossible.
    Did HL for 5th year, going into 6th now and switching to OL first day back.
    I deeply regret not doing OL from the start of 5th year, I'm behind on the OL course now. The vast majority in my year aren't counting maths for points, most people view it as an extra subject you only need to pass. HL maths (imo) is a load of BS. Nothing relevant or real to life and I do project maths course for paper 2.
    I'd only say to do it if you want to do engineering or something mathsy like that or if you need high points and are doing a few other pass subjects.
    I'm moving to ordinary now because I know I don't need higher for matriculation or points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 UrsCanB

20 yrs since I did this exam but I'd say this hasn't changed: if you do HL for the junior you'll find OL for the leaving fairly easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I think at least 20-30% of people are capable of getting As at LC Higher Maths if they are taught it properly. It really isn't that difficult. People just have a fear of it, go the wrong way about studying it, and teachers in general are poor. If you passed JC Maths, and went about learning it the right way, I've little doubt you could do very well with not much more effort than is required by other subjects. And from what I've seen, Project Maths is slightly easier, though different.

Advertisement