Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hide your kids, hide your...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I know someone who was leap on by the Guards for birdwatching near a beach. He was hiding in some reads filming a nesting bird & someone reported him.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

No-one seems to have mentioned that a 12 year old should not be left in charge of a 5 year old.It may have been innocent enough but it is not reasonable to expect a 12 year old to assume responsibility of a young child. Whatever about in the familiar safety of their own home but definitely not on a beach. also any intelligent adult should know not to approach unattended children to ask to take thier photo. Times change, sometiomes for the better sometimes not. These days you cannot go asking unattended children to pose for photos..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

No-one seems to have mentioned that a 12 year old should not be left in charge of a 5 year old.It may have been innocent enough but it is not reasonable to expect a 12 year old to assume responsibility of a young child.

Surely you are not saying that many children are more at risk from lax parenting than those so called sexual predators...............

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No-one seems to have mentioned that a 12 year old should not be left in charge of a 5 year old.

Well I was just about to.

Among other things, a child of five should not be anywhere near the water without an adult within-sight-within-reach.

Agree that gardai being interested does make it sound as thought it could be more sinister. And agree that the man asking the kids to pose is odd.

But to believe that no one takes photos of kids in public places without the parents explicit permission is just nuts. Every CCTV camera in the country does it. Lots of happy-snappers do it too. Hell, even I do it every St Patricks day parade etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

JustMary wrote: »
    Well I was just about to.

Among other things, a child of five should not be anywhere near the water without an adult within-sight-within-reach.

Agree that gardai being interested does make it sound as thought it could be more sinister. And agree that the man asking the kids to pose is odd.

But to believe that no one takes photos of kids in public places without the parents explicit permission is just nuts. Every CCTV camera in the country does it. Lots of happy-snappers do it too. Hell, even I do it every St Patricks day parade etc.

Perhaps Justmary but its a bit odd when you think you have to get written permission from the parents to photograph a child in a school or creche and in schools kids are not allowed camera phones in school for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

It may or may not have been innocent, but no one knows atm.

I've worked in the gaeltacht for the last few years and one time, a middle aged man approached one of the students while on the beach (there were 300+ students and 20+ supervisors/teachers/management present) asking to take her photo. Before he approached her he'd sit up on the rocks and watch down on us all the time. It was quite weird and unnerving, but the guards were called (after the student told her parents, we didn't know until then) and they took it pretty seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

No-one seems to have mentioned that a 12 year old should not be left in charge of a 5 year old.

Wow, things sure have changed since I was a (paid!) 12 year old babysitter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, did he have a white van?
    Every hysterical adult know that the dodgy people have white vans.
    katiebelle wrote: »
    Are some of you people for real ?? No one but no one takes pictures of my children without my permission.

What if your children are playing a camogie or football match. If you see an amateur photographer or even the man from the local paper are you going to storm over and confront them?

As there have been threads over in photography forum about this

Pity the man who does anything with kids these days.
    When I was a GAA coach I was warned never ever to be in the changing rooms without another adult. Mud sticks and if I grab a child to break up messing or someone passes a comment on a look or touch my name could be ruined.

Any wonder hardly any men go into primary school teaching with hysteria everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It's only creepy because society's conditioning us to think it's creepy. I was asked to pose for a photo as a kid eating an ice cream on the beach, and it ended up in the Examiner afterwards.

Ban this filth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cork Examiner, all kinds of filth in Cork :p

Would never happen in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

milehip1 wrote: »
    as i was told once (rather snottlingy) by a photographer you don't need permission to take someones photo in a public place,
    wonder if there is a loophole in that "rule" for kids?

In Ireland we don't own our own copyright so your picture can be taken.

I think erring the side of caution is a good thing, I know i wouldn't want anyone taking pictures of my youonger cousins without my consent. It is better to be safe then sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mars bar wrote: »
    Stopping by the Galway Advertiser Facebook page would probably be a good idea too OP.

http://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser

he could have been a photographer for one of the papers looking for a good summer photo.
    every guy is a suspect paedo and we have become very sick.

milehip1 wrote: »
    as i was told once (rather snottlingy) by a photographer you don't need permission to take someones photo in a public place,
    wonder if there is a loophole in that "rule" for kids?

in the north they signs up saying not to take pictures of kids.

No-one seems to have mentioned that a 12 year old should not be left in charge of a 5 year old.It may have been innocent enough but it is not reasonable to expect a 12 year old to assume responsibility of a young child. Whatever about in the familiar safety of their own home but definitely not on a beach. also any intelligent adult should know not to approach unattended children to ask to take thier photo. Times change, sometiomes for the better sometimes not. These days you cannot go asking unattended children to pose for photos..

especially if the twelve year old has not been Garda vetted. its not just creepy old men that are child abusers. look at the Jamie Bulger case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It's creepy because a middle-aged man was asking a young girl in her school uniform to jump around so he could take photos of her without any adult supervision.

I have to chuckle at this a bit. You would swear it was his responsibility that the kids were unsupervised. If it was my kids, I would be going mental at whoever was minding the kids, and why they left to take the dogs for a walk. Can kids and dogs not mix?
    schools kids are not allowed camera phones in school for the same reason.

School kids are not allowed them, because a picture of the innocent "Ill show you mine if you show me yours" which we all did at some point in our youth, can be spread around the whole class and maybe even the whole county in a matter of hours. Its nothing to do with getting permission to record children.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've come late to this thread, but I heard there's an entire paediatrics building somewhere in Newcastle that we can torch the perverts out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

syklops wrote: »
    I have to chuckle at this a bit. You would swear it was his responsibility that the kids were unsupervised. If it was my kids, I would be going mental at whoever was minding the kids, and why they left to take the dogs for a walk. Can kids and dogs not mix?
    When I was 12 I was walking my younger brothers and sister to and from school in Mervue via Castlepark. The kid's grandmother was never out of sight when she went walking but this is besides the point. The point of my original post was just to warn people to be careful. Two of my neighbours were convicted of pedophilia some years back. One of them was connected to a certain Eyre Square public toilet paedophile ring. So if I'm being overly-cautious I have good reason to be. I had a VERY lucky escape once myself when I was about 13 when a well-known wino came at me lad in hand as I was locking up a boat shed in Woodquay on my own. Thank God for good timing because my two older brothers just showed up in the car to collect me and scared the guy off. That might sound a bit crazy but these wierdos are out there. Maybe the guy on the beach was completely innocent, and hopefully he was, but he should know better. There wouldn't be much point in posting, God forbid, after something happened to a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Fuinseog wrote: »
    he could have been a photographer for one of the papers looking for a good summer photo.
    every guy is a suspect paedo and we have become very sick.

We have become more aware of possible dangers. Being alert to risks is not very sick. Perhaps he was a photographer, perhaps not. The OP was simply suggesting being vigilant, which is never any harm. The OP was seeking to ensure his community was on guard, yet now users have begun to almost make fun of him for it. It's crazy.

When I was 12 I was walking my younger brothers and sister to and from school in Mervue via Castlepark. The kid's grandmother was never out of sight when she went walking but this is besides the point. The point of my original post was just to warn people to be careful. Two of my neighbours were convicted of pedophilia some years back. One of them was connected to a certain Eyre Square public toilet paedophile ring. So if I'm being overly-cautious I have good reason to be. I had a VERY lucky escape once myself when I was about 13 when a well-known wino came at me lad in hand as I was locking up a boat shed in Woodquay on my own. Thank God for good timing because my two older brothers just showed up in the car to collect me and scared the guy off. That might sound a bit crazy but these wierdos are out there. Maybe the guy on the beach was completely innocent, and hopefully he was, but he should know better. There wouldn't be much point in posting, God forbid, after something happened to a kid.

You rang the police, they are aware, well done. Telling people to be extra vigilant, rarely actually works. In fact in this case, had the childrens Grandmother and uncle been a little bit vigilant, it probably would not have happened as it did. Or the individual might have introduced himself as a photographer or whatever to the adult nearby and the mystery would have been at an end.

All you manage in doing by posting here is put the people of Renmore, and Galway, in general, on the look out for an average height man with grey hair and a camera. The positive gains from a community being extra vigilant are hard to quantify, but the negative ones can have very serious repercussions.

Yes some people are making jokes, but thats because if you took every single threat to your life and to that of your kids, we would all be living in underground shelters watching Fox News.

Tonight on Prime Time Investigates: "Granddad: Friend? Or Foe?......

AngeGal wrote: »
    We have become more aware of possible dangers. Being alert to risks is not very sick. Perhaps he was a photographer, perhaps not. The OP was simply suggesting being vigilant, which is never any harm. The OP was seeking to ensure his community was on guard, yet now users have begun to almost make fun of him for it. It's crazy.

there is a certain a paranoia about the whole thing, sometimes unjustified. Every male is a suspect paedophile and that is a most unsettling feeling. Its maybe a backlash from when "unusual" behaviour was tolerated. There was a school in Galway, which will go unnamed, and a teacher used to go into the showers to have a look. he has since been sentenced for child abuse.

I work in a school (not in Galway) myself and every now and then this ould lad of about 80 is outside the gates talking to and laughing with the young boys, just the boys. when he saw me he cleared off and I was told later who he was. people have complained yet he is not barred from the property. his behaviour is regarded as unusual but a s such he has committed no crime.

• Advertisement

Yes some people are making jokes, but thats because if you took every single threat to your life and to that of your kids, we would all be living in underground shelters watching Fox News.

Tonight on Prime Time Investigates: "Granddad: Friend? Or Foe?......[/QUOTE]

hear hear.
    is it healthy for us to suspect absolutely everyone? BTW women can abuse children as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭All about Eve

could easily have been a photographer doing a project. although he shoud have asked the parents permission...

You rang the police, they are aware, well done. Telling people to be extra vigilant, rarely actually works. In fact in this case, had the childrens Grandmother and uncle been a little bit vigilant, it probably would not have happened as it did. Or the individual might have introduced himself as a photographer or whatever to the adult nearby and the mystery would have been at an end.
    First of all I didn't ring the Gardai and secondly they are not my kids. I just posted what happened. Because the grandmother was being vigilant, she decided after talking to her grand-daughter and weighing up the situation to let the gardai know. The fact is he didn't introduce himself as a photographer or a journalist. Would you head to a beach today and start asking 12 year old girls to start jumping around so you can take photos of them? I definitely wouldn't and I have a problem with anyone who does do this without permission or good reason. Also, my original post does not tell anyone to be "extra" vigilant. Readers can either take the post on board or ignore it. That's up to them. It's no skin off my nose. It was just a "heads-up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Fuinseog wrote: »

Tonight on Prime Time Investigates: "Granddad: Friend? Or Foe?......

hear hear.
    is it healthy for us to suspect absolutely everyone? BTW women can abuse children as well.[/QUOTE]

I understand the point and it is not without merit. But there is a difference between suspecting everyone and a guy taking photos of kids, asking a 5 year old to jump up and down. It is entirely possible it was innocent but I would think most photographers are aware of the times we live in and the fact that many parents are gonna get a little aggressive if they come back and find some stranger talking to their unsupervised children and taking photos of them.

I doubt these two children were the only ones on the beach and the majority of the rest were likely under supervision. It seems more than a little odd to me that a photographer wouldn't go to the parents of those under supervision and get permission, if only because it will likely be less hassle for them in the long run.

First of all I didn't ring the Gardai and secondly they are not my kids. I just posted what happened. Because the grandmother was being vigilant, she decided after talking to her grand-daughter and weighing up the situation to let the gardai know. The fact is he didn't introduce himself as a photographer or a journalist. Would you head to a beach today and start asking 12 year old girls to start jumping around so you can take photos of them? I definitely wouldn't and I have a problem with anyone who does do this without permission or good reason. Also, my original post does not tell anyone to be "extra" vigilant. Readers can either take the post on board or ignore it. That's up to them. It's no skin off my nose. It was just a "heads-up".

We are going around in circles, people are mis-reading things, people are misquoting others. OP, if your goal was to inform the community, then you have. I suggest you ask a mod to lock this before it goes further downhill.

No need to reply to me, I am unsubscribing.

OP, if your goal was to inform the community, then you have. I suggest you ask a mod to lock this before it goes further downhill.
    It was my goal to inform and I don't think it has gone downhill. It's only discussion with some questionable "humour" :) thrown in so I'll leave that up to the mods to decide
    No need to reply to me, I am unsubscribing.
    Replying in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The warning has achieved the desired effect I think. We'll stop here.
    I don't want to trivialise the problem with predators etc but I also don't want to exaggerate something that may have been nothing.
    Everyone, be careful out there but don't let fear control your life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement