Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I keep new N8 or stay with N82?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Have a brand new N8 arrived today and already has return label on it, ( to Amazon.)

Reasons to send back:
    1. Should use N82 untill it breaks,
    2. N8 can't do a lot more, (that I would use enough to justify keeping?!)
    3. Wait until N82 breaks, might be better phones around then.
    4. Can operate N82 practically blindfolded, never do that with a touch screen.
    5. Buy when N8 comes with "Anna" pre-installed.
    6. Price will drop more.

Reasons to keep N8:
    1. N82 makes nice back-up phone.
    2. This would be the 2nd N8 I'd be sending back.

I didn't actually use either of them, so it's not about what he N8 can or can't do. It's about breaking-up with my dear old N82, and being over-phoned.

PLEASE PLEASE, don't say Apple, Android or even MEEGO and Windows Mobile, meh.

Flying the flag for European technology

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why have you bought 2 and not used either?

You need to try it properly for a few days to get the full idea of it. In the back of your mind, you must want to get rid of the n82 otherwise would you have bought the N82 twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Either way, you should have Anna in a month or two. Any shop will sell out their PR1(.x) stock before selling the Anna models.

I upgraded to an N8 from an N85, so was in a similar situation to you.

You're right, the N8 doesn't have a whole lot more capability than what I had previously and I still like using my N85 since it's a fantastic well featured phone. However, the N8 does have more capability, and you'll find yourself loving it in no time!

It's a difficult choice really, but as Davy said, you've really gotta use the phone for a few days before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I went N82 - N8 - N82.
    Long time N82 fan, but principle issue with N8 was lack of software (apps and a decent keyboard)
    Sure it takes great pictures but I was struggling to get them off the damn thing without resorting to a cable. Not to mention the horror that is using Ovi Suite to check for updates (OTA updates never really seemed to work for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

@long_b Ah an N82 fan. I avoid using any Ovi as much as I can.
    Davy Why have you bought 2 and not used either?
    First was from Ebay (my first Ebay phone buy) and was polluted with Vodafone software.

For me it's almost a philosophical question more than a phone choice question or maybe even a relationship question, all about moving on. The reason I posted here was to get my own reasons onto paper. Often find that will I'm writing a post my own mind clears a bit.

There is no perfect product, in general. You always have to get to know it and learn how to get around problems and limitations. In a sense, I find a certain reluctance on my part to put the hours in, to get the phone looking and working in a way that just suits me in the same way the N82 does now.

Also with the release of N9 Meego, (can't be too many apps there!) and will NFC catch on? Don't want to be out of the loop in a years time or trading up again.
    rgds

EDIT: N8 is gone back

Why? Not because the N8 is a bad phone, but myself and my N82 get the job done. Most of my none phone use is podcast/music listening on public transport, could do that with my old still working 6230i.
    At this time with still 100% working N82, not prepared to go through the learning and personalisation process of setting up new phone. Could take quite a while before I would reach the comfortable familiarity I enjoy with N82. I know what N82 can and can't do and how to do it.
    If and when N82 stops working I will buy an N8. Go to Spain a bit and am always surprised to see so many people still using N70's so maybe I have quite a few more years with "mi ol' N82"

Amazon US selling N8 for 379.00 USD = 267.179 EUR

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Advertisement