Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polytunnel regs?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Are there any regulations or limits on using polytunnels on agricultural land? Is planning permission required?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

nowherefar wrote: »
    Are there any regulations or limits on using polytunnels on agricultural land? Is planning permission required?

An enquiry to my local authority earlier this year yielded that no Planning permission is required provided you follow some rules. In short, as long as its below 25 sq meters in size, below 3 meters high, is behind the building line and not used for commercial purposes your exempt.

I have it in writing from them if you require it. I'm sure the same regulations apply to all local authorities. However, we can't guarantee that they all interpret them the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nowherefar

But on actual agri land it would be for commercial purposes and there would or may not be any buildings nearby.. so does that mean planning permission is required?

But on actual agri land it would be for commercial purposes and there would or may not be any buildings nearby.. so does that mean planning permission is required?

You are talking about an agricultural building then.

Here's a link that will give you some info about exempted buildings. Hope it helps:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1587,en.pdf

Thanks, looks like a polytunnel is exempt..
    Type 4
    A store, barn, shed, glasshouse etc. not exceeding 300 square metres in floor
    area and not used for housing animals or storing effluent provided that the
    total floor area of all Type 3 structures within the farmyard complex (or 100
    metres of it) does not exceed 900 square metres;

Although it raises another question - what is a 'farmyard complex' in this case? If I have a few acres of field (bought or leased) with no buildings on, where is the farmyard? Is it where I put the polytunnel and any related structures?

Although it raises another question - what is a 'farmyard complex' in this case? If I have a few acres of field (bought or leased) with no buildings on, where is the farmyard? Is it where I put the polytunnel and any related structures?

That's where it becomes an issue. You will need to raise it with a professional who has experience with planning permissions such as an engineer - or even better again, someone from the planning department of your local authority - I don't think they are too busy these days ;)

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    someone from the planning department of your local authority - I don't think they are too busy these days ;)

Oh I dunno, those pub lunches can drag on.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Go and ask a council planner at their local clinic, usually once a week.

May need to do a Section 5 to be sure. Form here:

http://www.dublincity.ie/PLANNING/HERITAGECONSERVATION/CONSERVATION/Pages/Section5Declaration.aspx

and an example here:

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=1154&la=1

Advertisement