Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Places to Visit from Munich

• 23-06-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi guys,

This is a 'Things to do' with a bit of a twist. I am staying in Munich from the 01st August till the 26th of August and I am looking to do things OUTSIDE of Munich.

I spent 2 months in Munich in Summer 09 so basically I have seen most of the city. I have seen Dachau, Salzburg, the north of Italy. All while I was there.

So I was thinking of extending my visit, ending up in Ireland by the 10th of September. Here are my ideas so far:
    • Get the ICE train to Paris for a few days, get the chunnel to London for a few day and fly Ryanair home to Cork. This works out the same(excluding accomodation) as the direct flight from Munich to Cork.
    • Go to a coastal resort somewhere in the north of Italy or surrounding countries, that is if the journey isn't too far. Sun holiday basically.
    Anyone have any ideas of resorts/areas I could stay on the coast? Or a completely new area for me to see. Anyone think Prague would be a good idea?

Otherwise weekend trips that I can do during my stay would be great:)

Thank you
    :)
    I don't want to waste the oppertunity of being in the centre of Europe!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yes pragues a good idea even if you only go there for the cheap beer :p its easy enough to get to from munich, train to nuremberg takes an hour and then its a bus rest of journey

if you haven't been i would highly recommend fussen, its 2hr or so south of munich by train, again if you haven't been innsbruck (nicer than salzburg imo), not far from innsbruck is zell am see, beautiful little town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres no lack of stuff that you still havent seen near Munich.

- Nürnberg is good and easy to get to. Nazi marching grounds/ documentation centre, lovely altstadt, lively at night
    - Regensburg is a unesco heritage city and also only 1 1/2 hours away
    - Rothenburg ob der Tauber is mindblowingly lovely, maybe best combined with a stay in Würzburg as its a fair enough spin on the regional trains.
    - Lake Constance/ Bodensee is also no distance. Hire a bike and potter about there for a while.
    - Berchesgaden/ Königsee - lovely scenery mountain/ lakes etc, theres hitlers old mountain lodge the "eagles nest", a documentation centre on the Nazi government base that was where Hitler spent more time during the war than in Berlin, the salt mine is also great.
    - Bamberg is a very very prety city and has a stupid amount of breweries, 7 or 8 just in town and loads more in the suburbs. You can even stay overnight for cheap in one of the brewery guest houses!
    - Chiemsee is a lake about an hour from munich and theres a savage palace on an island on it. It would pass a nice summers day quite handy to visit there.

I could go on but thats plenty to keep you going for a while I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Garnish/Partenkircshen or Starnberg (i think its on S-bahn) for a day or two..

Ps i also camped in Murnau ..an hour or so south of Munich, its quiet but a beautiful place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

forgot to mention, beer and festivals!

Dachau Volksfest is from the 13th to 22nd. Its like the little brother of the Munich Octoberfest BUT is renowned for its cheap beer price.
    4.90 for a Litre!!
    http://www.ganz-muenchen.de/volksfeste/umland/dachau/dachauer_volksfest/infos.html

A little farther down the country is the Straubinger Fest on the same dates more or less. I havent made it there yet but loads of people regard it as the best Volksfest there is (i.e. way better than the tourist infested Octoberfest). You could easily incorporate it into a spin to Passau or Regensburg as its on those rail lines.
    http://www.volksfest-straubing.de/volksfest-straubing.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I went on a few trips to Austria by train. Innsbruck maybe.
    I'd highly recommend Kiosnatnz also. Lived there for a year and a great place to exploer 3 countries by ferry
    Also recommend Chiemsee or any of the other lakes

• Advertisement
Advertisement