Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting RCBO for 9.5 KW shower, my idea, (with pic)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

@Stoner: Small point I know but I already have the 6 sq. cable, but will consider it, no work happening for a day or 2.

Was going to mount isolating switch inside shower-room, thought that was the reg, and as it is pull-cord safe enough. To mount outside room is cable length of 2 Mtr (8 ft.) and really, really about 6 inches from RCBO. and CU. House is single person house, 1 bedroom.

Stoner:what route do you plan to use for the cable?

Don't know what you mean. The shortest I suppose, in the attic lying on top the "wolly" insulation. This under the lowest part of the roof, almost over the inner side of the cavity wall. As I said earlier in thread, distance from CU to shower is about 12 ft.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

OP: I do not mean to be offensive, and I am only saying this to prevent death, injury or financial loss but :

Just one word of warning, if you do serious electrical work in your house and it is not in compliance with ET101 (current edition), you can find if the installation causes a fire, your insurer might tell you to get lost if you claim. They are starting to get a lot meaner about paying out.

Modifying a socket or putting in a light is one thing, but installing a shower actually requires considerable training and test equipment.

If there are any earthing problems or you get something slightly wrong, you are potentially exposing yourself and anyone else using that shower to almost certainly lethal electric shocks delivered in their bare feet on a wet surface.

This is not a suitable job for DIY.

Also, that consumer unit is sloppily wired and quite cramped. I don't really see where you are going to put the RCBO. You realise they're quite large, and that 10mm2 cable doesn't bend very easily, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

@Solair:
    Also, that consumer unit is sloppily wired and quite cramped.
    I'm not in the building or related business here locally , so quite possible to end with the same sparks or of similar working methods/standards as the one that installed fuse box (this fuse box is to the best of my knowledge the original)

Asked the only local sparks I know(doesn't do it any more) about carrying out earth fault loop impedance & insulation test on the new circuit. His idea was the sparks around here don't carry that level of equipment.

Will look for some more feedback on local sparks.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

any electrician doing installation work should have that equipment

whether he's registered or not

Advertisement