Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange runner cleaning question

• 23-06-2011 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, thought this would be the best place for my question.
    How do you all clean your runners and stop them from stinking out your apartments/houses? I am recovering from surgery on a torn achilles, so the runners I would use for the gym and going for the odd jog are just sitting around, and to put it nicely, they don't smell great!! The runners are in good shape, and there is plenty of life left in them, so I don't want to throw them out just to buy new runners in a few months when I can run again, so I would like to clean them. Anybody any tips? Leaving them outside hasn't helped, even when being kept in a plastic bag they have got damp and end up smelling worse :mad:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What make are they? I ask cos my brother had nikes that stank like something died, and it was a problem with the shoe, not his feet. All I can say is don't machine wash them. Apart from invisible damage to the cushioning, which you get warned about, I've had shoes shrink slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Oryx wrote: »
    What make are they? I ask cos my brother had nikes that stank like something died, and it was a problem with the shoe, not his feet. All I can say is don't machine wash them. Apart from invisible damage to the cushioning, which you get warned about, I've had shoes shrink slightly.

They are a pair of Asics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

A sprinkle of breadsoda inside should do the the trick, it is a natural deoderizer, leave it in the runner for a while & then shake out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Perhaps they stink because you put them in a plastic bag (a perfect environment for breeding fungus, cultures and germs/bacteria). If the problem persists, the best idea may be to put them in the washing machine, even if it means shortening the life of the shoes. Nasty bacteria and recent surgery do not good bed fellows make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Perhaps they stink because you put them in a plastic bag (a perfect environment for breeding fungus, cultures and germs/bacteria). If the problem persists, the best idea may be to put them in the washing machine, even if it means shortening the life of the shoes. Nasty bacteria and recent surgery do not good bed fellows make.

They stuck a long time before they were put in any plastic bags!

Thanks for tips so far lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

This months Irish Runner has something called Stink Free , page 31.
    Meant to kill bacteria as well as the smell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Scholl shoe spray
    A quick blast in each shoe after every run to keep them from smelling

Advertisement