Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2011/2012

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I thought it was ok, usually don't like whatever book is picked by the school but it turned out better than I thought. We have some orange book with a few notes on it, but we only really finished it a few days before the Summer Holidays so we haven't really got the analysis bits done yet...though sometimes our teacher just leaves that bit up to us, which is ok until I see all the notes some people have on things that I have less than an A4 page for! :(

I haven't seen the film yet, I'll put that on the to-do list!

Ya? Cool, I have no notes on it at all!!! :L We are far behind in english i think compared to the other schools in our county.. :L Liek we only have the Kite runner, hamlet in some detail , 3 poets (Kavanagh heaney and frost) and work on paper 1 done... loads left to do!! :L
    Probably bohemian rhapsody....haven't done tchaikovsky yet.....Gerald Barry was just awful.....I just don't see the appeal of that piece....you?

Ya? Well, I loved all the set works (even Barry <SHOCK> ) Hahah... I knwo wahtyou may think.. IS HE DEAF? But no... I didnt liek it at first but I have been listening to it quite a lot since before the start of 5th year so I am used to it now and I do find some musical genius in there somewhere!! I liek most of it.. L: Just he can be a bit painful at times with those stupid C2+D3 phases or sumthing like that!! Tchaicovsky is amazing.. My favourite probably... :L But id say its everyones favourite! Just lovely music and easy to work on and to like everything is appealing about that piece!! :L

Anyone else think it is a bit strange they dont have that mad dictation from Junior cert on the Leaving cert course?? :L I know it is incorporated in the Set work questions but... yano? Its weird there isnt liek a 16 bar dictation question! :L

Flabangav wrote: »
    The Gerald Barry piece is horrible! It's just noise!

Ah now.... Its not just noise... :L In close detail, the canonic response is fugue like and is quite a spectacular feat of musicality.... but, in saying that.... a canon in quavers (even semi's at points) is not the most consanant msuic... :L But I like it... There is something to it... Like Marmite.... But I dont like marmite... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

That's the only set work we haven't done. I'm guessing we've left the best till last :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Anyone else think it is a bit strange they dont have that mad dictation from Junior cert on the Leaving cert course?? :L I know it is incorporated in the Set work questions but... yano? Its weird there isnt liek a 16 bar dictation question! :L

My teacher did some of the old Junior Cert style dictation with us towards the end of 5th year as sort of an introduction to the dictation type questions in the set works. Anyone in the class that hadn't JC music was completely shocked that that was a part of the JC exam! :P I'm glad we don't have to do it as a full question, anyway!

Ya? Well, Id say its the hardest one to get your head around.. and it is quite different to say the least with people not liking it and all so id say its best you have left it til last!! :L

• Advertisement

Ya? Well, Id say its the hardest one to get your head around.. and it is quite different to say the least with people not liking it and all so id say its best you have left it til last!! :L

Am I really weird in saying that I actually liked dictation :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39 madigan94

Haven't picked em yet :rolleyes:
    I'll probably do 2 reels, 2 jigs and then dunno what else.. My teacher wants me and my friend to do a duet but i dunno really. You? :)

1 reel, 1 jig, 1 slow air, 1 hornpipe...........the teacher said to try and pick really contrasting pieces.....I was thinking of asking my tin whistle teacher to accompany me on the flute or fiddle......she also had a 7 year old son who is the best bodhrán player I've ever seen.....he might steal my thunder though :/ haha

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

My violin pieces so far are
    1) Chanson de matin ( elgar- easy enough piece to settle me in)
    2) Danse Macabre (Saint Saens)
    3) Schindlers List (John Williams)
    4) Four Seasons (vivaldi - either spring 1, summer 1 or winter 1)
    5) Air on a g string (Bach)
    6) Not certain yet.. :/ (possibly bolero by Hubay) << Any suggestions??

That'll be some practical !

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

That's the only set work we haven't done. I'm guessing we've left the best till last :P

Oh we haven't done it yet either, our teacher just put it on for the lolz... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Wait what, isn't this kind of the same as the off-topic thread? There are two threads? I don't know if I can handle this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

I've just started 6th year today and already have test on friday ;O

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

We did GB at the end of 6th year. . .he is the least bearable, but easiest to learn, as he is unusual. . .you'll never mix up stuff from anywhere else with his. . .while you'll do that quite a bit with Bach/Tchaikovsky. . .or whoever ye have. . .

Word of advice people. . .try to stay off facebook/boards from now until the exams. . .facebook is a great way to waste time, so stay off it until they're over. . .boards is OK during exams for sanity. . .bouncing ideas off people, asking questions, getting reactions, ect.. . .but not until they start. . .believe me when I say time wasted will haunt you. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 27 F1f1

Hey :) K so i did my leaving last year (thank god!) and got an A1 in history :D Kinda need money for college now so was thinking of selling my history essay plans that I made..basically i did out essay plans to cover pretty much anything that could come up in my topics! But..I don't know if these plans would be of use to anyone else or if its more of a personal thing so if anyone wants to take a look at one of them and tell me what they think? You'l be getting a free essay plan out of it! Let me know an I'll PM ya :)

Namlub wrote: »
    Wait what, isn't this kind of the same as the off-topic thread? There are two threads? I don't know if I can handle this...

Ya same.. We should delete one or combine them..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

@ThatHandsomeDevil.... I think that piece would be more of a Junior Cert Practical standard.... :L
    If the examiner doesn't laugh you off at the simplicity of it first :p
    and yes, we really should combine these threads, or do something

madigan94 wrote: »
    1 reel, 1 jig, 1 slow air, 1 hornpipe...........the teacher said to try and pick really contrasting pieces.....I was thinking of asking my tin whistle teacher to accompany me on the flute or fiddle......she also had a 7 year old son who is the best bodhrán player I've ever seen.....he might steal my thunder though :/ haha

. . .that was my combination too on whistle!. . .serious thought needed into the tunes, but shortlist the tunes early on, save your sanity a little bit. . .

. . .if you have the confidence, my advice is go alone,if youre prepared enough . . . the other instruments just hide your own skill, especially if you're playing whistle, and then he/she wont be as inclined to give you the full marks. . .and if you're at a certain standard, full practical marks are attainable. . .

Am I really weird in saying that I actually liked dictation :o

No! Not at all! i liked it in the exam... It really does challenge your musicality and having relative (or even absolute) pitch can be such a bonus in later life if you decide to study music and anything! So the thought of not having to do it in one way isnt great as it isn't helping you learn the skills to approach perfect/relative pitch, but on the other hand.... it is a lot less stressful without it! :L
    That'll be some practical !

^^Haha, I really wouldnt be able to pull all that off I'd say! :L I think I might wait to see what my violin teacher would say about some of them and would they be too hard to perfect (or as close as I could get them to be to perfection) in these next months... maybe choose an easier piece than air on a g string or danse macabre... :L << Possibly Danse Espagnole ( by kreisler-grandados not the de falla one!! :L my friend is doing the de falla one but he is class!.. )

I was thinking of learning 'Airplanes' by BOB for my practical. Is that a bit weird?? :o

I was thinking of learning 'Airplanes' by BOB for my practical. Is that a bit weird?? :o

No not at all! What instrument or singing wise? It'd be great to do something like that as the examiner is always plagued with classical, trad and "rock" so more recent and pop pieces wwould at least be memorable. Its be good!!

And I like the song too so i'm slightly biased! :L:P

• Advertisement

No not at all! What instrument or singing wise? It'd be great to do something like that as the examiner is always plagued with classical, trad and "rock" so more recent and pop pieces wwould at least be memorable. Its be good!!

And I like the song too so i'm slightly biased! :L:P

I was thinking of playing it on the piano :) Ya that's what i was thinking too. I really like the song too :D I'd say it will be hard to learn but I'll give it a try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Err...yeah actually. <_<

Might I redirect you all here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Thanks jumpy, grand bitta modding there ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thanks jumpy, grand bitta modding there ^_^
    Liiiiickkkk .... >_>

:p:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement