Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonfire night - WTF?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh Booboo, would you just acquaint yourself with irony and stop looking for offence where there isn't any intended. Some little sh1tbags do throw animals on bonfires unfortunately - Stark wasn't expressing a fondness for this, just pointing out that it happens. I wouldn't say it's limited to just Dublin though, or to the areas mentioned. But yeah, obviously only a tiny minority does it.

Quiet up in The Glen last night anyway. Has been known to get a bit mad up there on Bonfire Night.

to make light of animal cruelty is expressing a fondness of it in my book.
    im not look for offence, nor am i offended, jus making a point.

gbee wrote: »
    No more reports. No injuries reported. It was probably mixed up with the incident by Spriggs Road.

Lots of reports on Prenderville's show, none support this.

incident on spriggs road? wat happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

booboo88 wrote: »
    Oh ffs. Making a vaguely sarcastic comment regarding animal cruelty (which is actually a criticism of it) = enjoying animal cruelty? That's bollocks and it doesn't matter about your book - you're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

In Ballyvolane we have a bonfire in the same spot every year, in a field some distance from any houses. Everyone from small children to the elderly come out to enjoy it. There is no drinking etc. - of course the usual youth element drink later in the evening but they do that anyway - and with the kneejerk objections to any youth facilities in the area they have little choice as there is nowhere else for them to go.

This year some upstanding citizen decided to call the fire brigade. It was like a scene from Monty Python. They came out and sprayed the fire with water and put most of it out. A guy drove up with a car with tree branches on the roof and proceeded to throw them on the now wet and smoking pile of ashes.

A small patch started up again. The firemen looked a bit sheepish to be honest. One of them came back with a small bucket accompanied by boos from some smaller children. You could tell from the fireman he was embarrassed by the whole thing.

My opinion is that if the council made some sort of ground rules as to what could be burned (e.g. not plastics or tyres) then I don't see the harm in it, in fact it is a great social occasion - and I'm a blow in myself and have never seen this custom anywhere else. So there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Stark wrote: »
    The illegal fireworks are perfectly safe as well.

Whether or not some bureaucrat decided the firework should be legal or not has little to do with how safe it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Quiet up in The Glen last night anyway. Has been known to get a bit mad up there on Bonfire Night.

That's unusual, I remember a few years back the council came up and took away everything the kids were after collecting for a fire down by the flats, there was uproar even the parents were involved, they threatend to set the flats alight, sure enough when the council left they set fire to the flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I remember that - 2004/5 direction I think. It was fecking mad - the amount of fire trucks...

so no ones car was set alight?
    i thought it was very quiet last night, and where i live theres normal emergency services at every corner:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

In my teenage years my friends and i use to build up the local bonna which we would light up around seven or eight at night so the smallies could have a watch and a snoop of the fire with their folks. Once they were gone out the gap we use to lash out the two liters of cider and drink away with our fire till the early hours and never once had any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

When were Google up on Spriggs Rd? Looks like they've been getting ready for a while.
    Google were lucky to get out of there without their car being set alight :pac:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Spriggs+Road,+Cork,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=51.906042,-8.486509&spn=0.004296,0.013078&sll=51.901945,-8.503675&sspn=0.017185,0.052314&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.905976,-8.486356&panoid=jIPgHQxYKBNmKYy9hqHD9Q&cbp=12,324.67,,1,8.72

• Advertisement

Oh ffs. Making a vaguely sarcastic comment regarding animal cruelty (which is actually a criticism of it) = enjoying animal cruelty? That's bollocks and it doesn't matter about your book - you're wrong.
    i suppose its grand to make sarcastic remarks about it, ah sure its only sarcasm:rolleyes:

if you ask me thats whats bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Well thats my lesson learned, never criticise corks proud tradition of setting rubbish on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

Oh Booboo, would you just acquaint yourself with irony and stop looking for offence where there isn't any intended. Some little sh1tbags do throw animals on bonfires unfortunately - Stark wasn't expressing a fondness for this, just pointing out that it happens. I wouldn't say it's limited to just Dublin though, or to the areas mentioned. But yeah, obviously only a tiny minority does it.

Pretty quiet up here alright though the bonfire near the ring road meant alot of cars parked on said road with traffic coming from ballyvolane direction having to drive on the outbound lane.

Well thats my lesson learned, never criticise corks proud tradition of setting rubbish on fire.
    It is what kept Cork clean for so long. Unlike some parts of the country with old chairs and sofas and other such rubbish on public green spots.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Poor OP. you've upset the Cork Mafia. The burning of household rubbish (and whatever else you can find) on Bonna Night is a dearly held tradition. The stoning of the fire service is also a dearly held tradition. The placing of the cleanup burden on all residents is also a dearly held tradition especially in low tax areas.

parsi wrote: »
    Poor OP. you've upset the Cork Mafia. The burning of household rubbish (and whatever else you can find) on Bonna Night is a dearly held tradition. The stoning of the fire service is also a dearly held tradition. The placing of the cleanup burden on all residents is also a dearly held tradition especially in low tax areas.
    Oddly enough the stoning of the fire service is something new and all decent Cork people would be disgusted by this habit which has it's roots in Dublin and Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Show Time wrote: »
    Oddly enough the stoning of the fire service is something new and all decent Cork people would be disgusted by this habit which has it's roots in Dublin and Limerick.

Stoning of the fire service is not new to Cork, far from it. We've always had a lot of scumbags that have enjoyed doing it.

cork45 wrote: »
    Stoning of the fire service is not new to Cork, far from it. We've always had a lot of scumbags that have enjoyed doing it.
    New as in the last seven or eight years. Even when i was a young fella the scummies would not sink so low. Or i could just be seeing things through rose tinted glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

cork45 wrote: »

Any big reasonably slow moving vehicle is probably a target

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Show Time wrote: »
    New as in the last seven or eight years. Even when i was a young fella the scummies would not sink so low. Or i could just be seeing things through rose tinted glasses.

Rose tinted glasses methinks. I remember kids throwing stones at buses and emergency service vehicles when I was a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Rose tinted glasses methinks. I remember kids throwing stones at buses and emergency service vehicles when I was a kid.

"The wheels on the bus go round and round" as played by Charlie Wolfe [before he was de-fanged] "The wheels of the bus go round and round and up the hill to Churchfield"

"The wheels on the bus go round and round SMASH!" "The wheels of the bis don't go round and round up the hill in Churchfield!"

That song actually ended the smashing of buses for a while ~ the row was fought over a rival radio station by Mr P and Charlie Wolfe agreed to stop playing the song, as long as busses could pass up Churchfield.

Guards, courts, restraining orders ~ all no good, a song played on air every time a bus was attacked really irked some people, people who had control [obviously] over the bus smashing, and it stopped.

Now, for a weekend away for two in my imagination, name the radio station and give me the year!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

gbee wrote: »
    "The wheels on the bus go round and round" as played by Charlie Wolfe [before he was de-fanged] "The wheels of the bus go round and round and up the hill to Churchfield"

"The wheels on the bus go round and round SMASH!" "The wheels of the bis don't go round and round up the hill in Churchfield!"

That song actually ended the smashing of buses for a while ~ the row was fought over a rival radio station by Mr P and Charlie Wolfe agreed to stop playing the song, as long as busses could pass up Churchfield.

Guards, courts, restraining orders ~ all no good, a song played on air every time a bus was attacked really irked some people, people who had control [obviously] over the bus smashing, and it stopped.

Now, for a weekend away for two in my imagination, name the radio station and give me the year!

Who in their right mind would want to spend time in your imagination?;)

More then likely.:)
    Thankfully my friends and i were more concerned about just having a blazing bonna and a feed of drink and hash to pass the night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

2 7 day bans and a handful of infractions issued.

I dont care what your opinion is if you insult someone whether they are right/wrong or absolutely nuts you will be banned. This includes tossing insults towards others that may have insulted you. Use the report button.

Secondly...Refrain from draggin in debates on whose worse. Starting a Dublin vs Cork debate over bad behaviour at bonfires isnt going to achieve anything except to derail the thread.

So who was unlucky enough to get the banhammer time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 timmydadon

i was at said bonfire that the op rang the firebrigade on..the guards passed a few times looked over and saw no trouble so let it continue on...it was still burning the nxt morning when it started to rain....no need for the fire service at all...soo to the op all us knackers as you call us whos bonfire you tried to ruin...no luck bucko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

you are sick individual just at even mentioning such a thing, albeit a joke for you maybe, more than likely some sick person probably did throw someones pet into a fire.

Are you actually being serious?

Using your same logic:
    someone should throw you into a fire

you have stated that you both support and heartily endorse the act of throwing people on fires.
    duh......
    pretty obvious, but in your case, maybe not
    :rolleyes:

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Are you actually being serious?

Using your same logic:

you have stated that you both support and heartily endorse the act of throwing people on fires.

:rolleyes:
    if you think i actually was being serious about throwing someone into a fire??? seriously???

some people....for those of you who dont understand, ill dumb it down, you wouldnt throw a person in, so why an animal..... christ:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

if you think i actually was being serious about throwing someone into a fire??? seriously???

Well because clearly the mere act of referring to something means you have a fondness for it in your book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Do you actually think that Stark was serious about throwing somebody's pet into a bonfire?

Using your logic, if you mention something, you obviously support it or have a fondness for it.

You then said
    someone should throw you into a fire
    Using the same logic that you apply to other people's comments, because you mentioned this, you obviously support throwing people on bonfires.
    some people....for those of you who dont understand, ill dumb it down, you wouldnt throw a person in, so why an animal..... christ:confused:

I don't dispute this.
    Obviously throwing the human or animal into the bonfire means that they won't cook properly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement