Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide Sandbar Wave?!

Options
  • 23-06-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Has anyone seen or heard of the wave in Malahide?

I was working on the beach as a lifeguard last weekend and I noticed a fairly good sized wave forming at the sand bar off the beach about 2 hours before high tide.
    I had seen it before while driving by etc, so we decided to launch the boat and check it out - it was lovely, fairly surf-able! We went out a tiny too bit too late and they had just stopped breaking but we had good fun surfing the green waves with the boat!

I looked again the next day, it wasn't as big or as solid but a jet-skier was having a ball using the waves as a ramp! I mean it's not huge but pretty good for east coast improvers, it comes in pretty consistently!

I'll defo keep an eye out and check it out to try and find out what the best time to go at would be.

Has anyone heard of it being surfed? There's a serious rip running out from the marina so I dunno how dangerous it would be! Any tips for what I should look out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

The best kept secret is the one you keep to yourself.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Meh I'm all for sharing the love!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Smeefa wrote: »
    Meh I'm all for sharing the love!

That's ok if it not somebody else's secret spot that they don't want all over the intent. Imagen you've been surfing a quite spot with just you and a few friends while down the road the breaks are a zoo. Then on day the secret gets out and it becomes a zoo as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

That's ok if it not somebody else's secret spot that they don't want all over the intent. Imagen you've been surfing a quite spot with just you and a few friends while down the road the breaks are a zoo. Then on day the secret gets out and it becomes a zoo as well.

Yeah, that would be a real tragedy :rolleyes:

If that was the case, nobody would surf anywhere beacause it would have already been somebody's 'secret' spot. The Peak was somebody's 'secret' at some stage too...

A lot of surfers need to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yeah, that would be a real tragedy :rolleyes:

If that was the case, nobody would surf anywhere beacause it would have already been somebody's 'secret' spot. The Peak was somebody's 'secret' at some stage too...

A lot of surfers need to grow up.

I don't think we need to reopen those old wounds but I 100% agree with you.
    A lot of these spots were probably someones "secret" before those that think its their secret came along.
    Only in surfing (which is really meant to be a "chilled out" pasttime) do you get the sense of having exclusive rights to a section of sea that was around long before you came and will be round long after you've left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Who cares abut malahide?! If the dubs want to believe there are waves on the east coast, I'm all for letting them think that. Less crowds on the west coast on any given sunday. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

kippy wrote: »
    I don't think we need to reopen those old wounds but I 100% agree with you.
    A lot of these spots were probably someones "secret" before those that think its their secret came along.
    Only in surfing (which is really meant to be a "chilled out" pasttime) do you get the sense of having exclusive rights to a section of sea that was around long before you came and will be round long after you've left.

Not at at all you are free to surf anywhere you want on anybreak you know of - but it's well known that it is bad form to blab about secret spots. Nobody is stoping you from surfing them, if you put the effort in to find them cool. Just please don't tell the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

kippy wrote: »
    I don't think we need to reopen those old wounds

Then don't.
    Not at at all you are free to surf anywhere you want on anybreak you know of

This.

No need to keep a secret, tell your mates. Just don't tell millions of people on the net, that didn't ask and have put in no effort to find out. Why piss in someones cornflakes when you can just not post?
    Live and let live etc.

OP if you are unsure about a break, don't surf there until you see some others at your level successfully surfing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

if i'd found a nice spot not sure why i would be going on the internet telling the world and his mother about it, from a purely selfish point of view it seems to be a pretty dumb thing to do. hopefully it's pumping and will keep the dubs on the east coast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

promethius wrote: »
    if i'd found a nice spot not sure why i would be going on the internet telling the world and his mother about it, from a purely selfish point of view it seems to be a pretty dumb thing to do.

Yes, I'm sure the masses are flocking to Malahide as we speak :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

promethius wrote: »
    if i'd found a nice spot not sure why i would be going on the internet telling the world and his mother about it, from a purely selfish point of view it seems to be a pretty dumb thing to do. hopefully it's pumping and will keep the dubs on the east coast ;)

Depends if the break will keep them away from the one i am surfing icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

rodento wrote: »
    Depends if the break will keep them away from the one i am surfing icon10.gif

could this all be a cunning ruse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Sounds epic. Hope the Bundoran lads don't start to come down and crowd it out.

Advertisement