Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gonna Get Serious!

Options
  • 23-06-2011 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Right thought I`d keep track of my progress (hopefully) from now on using this as my log.
    Since I have finished the leaving I want to completely focus on my fitness and get serious about my diet. I have a holiday booked for next week so the training will suffer for 10 days unfortunately :mad:. But after that the sky is the limit!!

I`m 17
    5`11
    83kgs

I`m going to be doing Rippetoes Starting Strength as its easy to follow and not to brutal on my body as I will be back training in BJJ and MMA during the week also.

So for the last week and abit I`ve been doing SS and here`s how its been:

Week 1:
    Monday
    Squat- 50kg 3 sets 5 reps
    Bench- 50kg 3x5
    Deadlift- 30kg 3x5

Wednesday
    Squat- 60kg 3x5
    Press- 30kg 3x5
    Powerclean- 30kg 5x3

Friday
    Squat- 62.5kg 3x5
    Bench- 52.5kg 3x5
    Deadlift- 80kg 3x5

Week 2:
    Monday
    Squat- 70kg 3x5
    Press- 32.5kg 3x5
    Clean- 40kg 5x3

Wednesday
    An hours grappling then I hit the gym (first session back since march!)

Squat- 72.5kg 3x5
    Bench- 55kg 3x5
    Deadlift- 90kg 3x5

So I`ll post up tomorrows workout after the gym
    also any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

How are you finding the lifts? What was your routine before this? I'm considering Starting Strength and have read up a lot on it.

Based on what I've read and looking at your routine, you should probably slow down the increases so that you'll last longer before you have to reset.

If using 2.5kg increases on the squat, you'll be increasing by 30kg per month. Increases on the other excercises would only be 15kg but there's no panic. Your squat would probably pass your deadlift initially when increasing by 2.5kg per session but there's no need to worry about your squat being bigger - this will resolve itself because you'll likely have to reset the squat quite a bit before the deadlift.

After you've reset all excercises at least once, you're lifts should be in the proportion to each other that they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 markopolominty

the important thing when starting to get serious is not to dive in head first. If you do too much too soon you will burn yourself out and fall out of love with the whole programme.
    Take small steps by just modifying your diet slightly and tappering your cardio and strength training for the first 2 weeks then review what you've done and then progress it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pumping and Humping

Todays workout:

Friday
    Squat- 75kgs 3 sets 5 reps
    Press- 35kgs 3x5
    Clean- 45kgs 5x3

Squats and Press we`re a killer today. The Clean is just frustrating me at this stage I cant seem to get the jump and rack down the bar isnt sitting on my shoulders properly :mad:.

I have the weekend off now to recover then back in for my last workout before I go away :p.

marathonic wrote: »
    How are you finding the lifts? What was your routine before this? I'm considering Starting Strength and have read up a lot on it.

Based on what I've read and looking at your routine, you should probably slow down the increases so that you'll last longer before you have to reset.

If using 2.5kg increases on the squat, you'll be increasing by 30kg per month. Increases on the other excercises would only be 15kg but there's no panic. Your squat would probably pass your deadlift initially when increasing by 2.5kg per session but there's no need to worry about your squat being bigger - this will resolve itself because you'll likely have to reset the squat quite a bit before the deadlift.

After you've reset all excercises at least once, you're lifts should be in the proportion to each other that they should be.

At first the lifts were difficult because they were totally new to me. But before I actually even touched the bar I downloaded Ripp`s videos on each lift and his two books which were a huge help. The only lift I cant seem to nail still is the Powerclean its just a matter of practice I think.
    The I wasnt really on a routine as such I just went to my BJJ/MMA classes.
    I see where your coming from with the 2.5kg increases its just I knew I had more in me so I went for it and what do you mean by "reset the squat"?

the important thing when starting to get serious is not to dive in head first. If you do too much too soon you will burn yourself out and fall out of love with the whole programme.
    Take small steps by just modifying your diet slightly and tappering your cardio and strength training for the first 2 weeks then review what you've done and then progress it.

I`ll keep this in mind when I come back off my holiers.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

At first the lifts were difficult because they were totally new to me. But before I actually even touched the bar I downloaded Ripp`s videos on each lift and his two books which were a huge help. The only lift I cant seem to nail still is the Powerclean its just a matter of practice I think.
    The I wasnt really on a routine as such I just went to my BJJ/MMA classes.
    I see where your coming from with the 2.5kg increases its just I knew I had more in me so I went for it and what do you mean by "reset the squat"?

Basically, and correct me if I'm wrong here, the Starting Strength program is based on linear progression, i.e. add weight at every session. You squat every session (3 times a week/12 times a month). That means adding 30kg per month at 2.5kg rises. The other lifts you do once every two sessions (or 6 times a month). That means adding 15kg a month.

When you fail a particular excercise twice in a row, you reduce the weight by a certain percentage and start adding weight from that new base every session. As you're squat is raising at twice the rate of the deadlift and the deadlift is the excercise that most people lift the higher weight in, you'll likely be reseting a lot earlier and more often on the squat.

Todays Workout:

Monday (27/06/11)
    Squat- 75kgs 3 sets 5 reps
    Bench- 55kgs 3x5
    deadlift- 100kgs 3x5

I was happy with that workout especially doing 100kgs on the deadlift but Im going to scale all the lifts back when I come back afer my holiday and work my way up in 2.5kg steps.:rolleyes:

marathonic wrote: »
    Basically, and correct me if I'm wrong here, the Starting Strength program is based on linear progression, i.e. add weight at every session. You squat every session (3 times a week/12 times a month). That means adding 30kg per month at 2.5kg rises. The other lifts you do once every two sessions (or 6 times a month). That means adding 15kg a month.

When you fail a particular excercise twice in a row, you reduce the weight by a certain percentage and start adding weight from that new base every session. As you're squat is raising at twice the rate of the deadlift and the deadlift is the excercise that most people lift the higher weight in, you'll likely be reseting a lot earlier and more often on the squat.

ah now I get what you mean thanks.:D

Hi all,

Due to the lack of internet I haven`t bein able to keep this up to date :mad:.

Anyway I`ll post up what I`ve done since:

Thursday 14/07/11
    15min Run
    15min Crosstrainer

Friday 15/07/11
    15min Run
    15min Crosstrainer

Saturday 16/07/11
    15min Run
    15min Crosstrainer

Monday 18/07/11
    An hours grappleing