Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary Work

Options
  • 23-06-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I know there is a thead already on Jobs in Sligo..... and lets face it, there's not much activity going on there!

I was just thinking, considering the amount of well talented people on Boards in general, would people considering giving some free time to some voluntary organisations?

Look! It would give you a purpose for geting up and doing something (when waiting for this RRRRecession to lift)

You would meet other like mind persons..... and also persons from other ages/classes/races etc.....

Grab a coffee and a chat with others in the same situation.....share ideas/info etc..... instead of surfing the web!

Build on these new friendships and develope a wider circle of friends.....

Me not an IT expert, but maybe someone who is could setup FACEBOOK page to develope this more?

I will start the ball rolliing with a few ideas where useful people could
    lend their useful skills to make a difference...... please add to the list if you want and PM me if necessary!

www.svp.ie
    www.sligosocialservices.ie
    www.scouts.ie
    www.aware.ie

Will add a few more tomorrow....

Maybe another idea would be to set up group walking/hiking tours for Boards members?? Let me know what you think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There is a volunteer centre in Sligo:
    http://www.volunteersligo.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Nice idea in theory, but I personally wouldn't be able to do it.

I'm quite skilled at some of the things I do, and while I'd love to get paid for it, its not a reality in the current climate. Then again I don't think there's much call for someone to do plumbing, tiling, electrical, joint & taping, painting and decorating and all of that jazz, or Data analysis for that matter for the voluntary orgs... Plus for that sort of work, its impossible to do it without costs being incurred. Materials, delivery collection etc...... That's not to say that they're the only things I'd consider doing, its not. Its just what I'm good at and would like to do.

Also, I take care of my two wee children during the day while my partner goes to work, so it wouldn't be feasible as there'd be no childminder.

Its another reason why I think the people who don't know what its like harp on about getting the unemployed to do voluntary work as part of their dole payment because they're only sitting on their arse is a ridiculous idea. Have you seen the cost of childcare? Its hard enough to get by at the minute never mind having to add those sort costs to that for no financial return. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now I promise. ;)

That said, if I was unemployed and playing xbox all day or staying in bed then sure, I like to think I'd be happy to lend my time to others as a volunteer doing whatever, because lets face it, there wouldn't be much else to fill the days.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I volunteered in the Oxfam shop and absolutely loved it, the two managers there really care about the staff and the store.

Also volunteered in the Yeats Society for 2-3 hours a week, they're finding it awful hard to get volunteers. Its a good number, especially for students, I couldn't find any part-time work last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

The Sligo Sports Partnership have a volunteer database and they are always looking for volunteers to help with activities for example driving people with a disability to the gym or pool or helping out with sports clubs. They are really nice and approachable there and you usually get nice little perks out of it too, for example free use of the pool or gym.

http://www.sligosportandrecreation.ie/

Advertisement