Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soft sheen paint

• 24-06-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

quick question! is soft sheen paint suitable for the hall/stairs/landing and the kitchen?
    Im far from a pro at painting and only ever used matt emulsion so im not sure but i seen soft sheen on special offer so it'l be half the price as buying the matt emulsion.

we painted the hall last week and the colour looks nothing like the chart so were painting it again,its a disaster! i was the one who went and bought the paint so the bf is giving me stick! he's not too sure about the soft sheen either but i have to go buy the paint again so if i come home with the wrong type of paint again il never hear the end of it especially cos he paying!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It is suitable. The only real question is a matter of taste. I have a sitting room painted in a soft sheen paint.

My wife bought the paint and it turned out to be solvent based. Which meant a huge stink, closing the door to the rest of the house for a couple of weeks and opening the windows as much as possible. Bit of a chore to clean rollers and pads as well. :rolleyes:

You might want make sure the paint you are thinking of is water based.

I can only suggest looking in paint catalogues for images showing soft sheen paints in use or on the web
    small_room_bigger.gif Especially apt for those of you in a typical, newly built Dublin apartment the size of a suitcase, use light, cool colours. If you'd prefer to inject a bit of colour at the same time as creating the illusion of space, use a paint shade from the Dulux Light & Space range. The special formulation reflects up to twice as much light back into a room as a standard soft sheen paint, and allow you to create the illusion of space without comprimising on colour.
    http://www.dulux.ie/magazine/articles/articles/awkward_rooms.jsp

Any gloss or soft sheen paint is going to show up surface imperfections more than a matt, so if the wall is not very flat due to poor plastering, you might want to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

I prefer matt as it hides some marks and imperfections, some brands are washable.

Advertisement