Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hermitage Green

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been following them almost weekly since January. Looking forward to their gig in Aubars this Friday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Theres a big Charity gig on in Scotts Bar September 8th. Hermitage Green are playing for no fee and donating there share of the procedes to Breast Cancer awareness...

Funk Junkies, Brad Pitt orchestra, Deliverance, Leading Armies & Contenders all playing again for free and donating there share of procedes to Pieta House, Crumlin Childrens hospital, neo natal ward, Ms Ireland, & Limericks Childrens Arc, will try post a Poster

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Funk Junkies, Brad Pitt orchestra, Deliverance, Leading Armies & Contenders all playing again for free and donating there share of procedes to Pieta House, Crumlin Childrens hospital, neo natal ward, Ms Ireland, & Limericks Childrens Arc, will try post a Poster

That's probably the best line-up of local musical talent I've ever seen for one event. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

bigpink wrote: »

So if there selling out a venue at 10 euro a ticket must be going the original direction

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DarrenJames

Do these guys play more covers or originals at their recent gigs? Would like to go see them in the Academy in September either way just curious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Do these guys play more covers or originals at their recent gigs? Would like to go see them in the Academy in September either way just curious!

Haven't seen them in a few months, but it was ~4 originals and the rest covers last time I saw them. Their two originals on Youtube - Live on and Gibson - are really good songs and their covers are great.

I'd really recommend seeing them and if their gigs in Limerick are anything to go by, there'll be women everywhere.

I'd really recommend seeing them and if their gigs in Limerick are anything to go by, there'll be women everywhere.

which means nothing, you defo won't pull, as the women who will be there will only have eyes for "the arms".... :);)

they're at the Electric Picnic too, though can't say I'll be out of bed to go and see them at the hour they are on....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

seachto7 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

They sold out a gig last week in Dublin in Bucks Townhouse bar/nightclub

They have gigs coming up at Electric Picnic and The Academy surely they are playing original stuff for these gigs?

I kinda warmed to them as a cover band my friends mad into them but the crowd is a bit girly girls L4'S kinda vibe

They sold out a gig last week in Dublin in Bucks Townhouse bar/nightclub

They have gigs coming up at Electric Picnic and The Academy surely they are playing original stuff for these gigs?

I kinda warmed to them as a cover band my friends mad into them but the crowd is a bit girly girls L4'S kinda vibe

L4.Yeah, I see what you mean. I wonder how a gig would go down if they just did originals. As in, they are well known now for their covers. Can they make the switch? Hopefully they'll go down aright at the Picnic. Most people there won't have a clue who they are, but that's the joy of a festival, just stumbling on a band you don't know....

I would hope that a band in the Academy and EP would be trumping the original music card.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

The girls love em, they can play and sing a bit, always put in the effort to perform. They seem to pull in the punters. If I owned a pub, I'd book em.

The look good in photo, seem to carry themselves well, so promotion will be a breeze. The music seems to hit that right balance which has wide "demographic" appeal.

I reckon they will go down a storm in Boston & NY. With the right promotion, who knows?

Mind you, not my cuppa tea but more luck to them

• Advertisement

Theres some great Limerick and Irish bands that would not get near Electric Picnic or the Academy after a year so they must have something original going on

How do you mean they "Bring it"?

This is what I am saying. A GREAT rep as a covers band. PLaying a set full of original music is a TOTALLY different thing. Not saying they can't do it, but the vibe changes immediately. For example, SMyths is always covers bands, as that's what the crowd want in there. An original band wouldn't work in there....

As far as I know they have 11 or 12 originals maybe 7 or 8 of which they play regularly.
    "Gibson", "Live On", "Aisling", "Red Flags" are the ones they always do and the others are coming along nicely as well.

looking forward to hearing the other 2 originals? Are they releasing anything? That's when the music critic sharks will get their teeth into them then......... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I wouldn't even get too hung up on "original".
    They have that folk-trad twist going on which can be about interpretation.
    It's a glossy, clean, safe, type of pop version.
    Type of stuff rugger wags, teeny boppers, housewives will buy.
    If the likes of Bressie & the Corona's are pulling them in; then why not?

IMO it lacks soul but there is definitely a place for it.

http://www.celtic-tenors.com/

Would a tour with Bressie be the ultimate rugger wag tour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

seachto7 wrote: »
    Would a tour with Bressie be the ultimate rugger wag tour?

jesus, I hate that guy. Not sure how someone gave him a gig on The Voice. His music is awful..

his music is sh*te alright, but he seems like an ok guy from his interviews. I cannot understand why people go to ogle him as opposed to listen to his music. F**k knows what half of the crowd going to look at guys arms would make of good songwriters like Chris Whitley or Vic Chesnutt. Both not appealing to the eye, one who was in a wheelchair. I wonder would they look on as if they had sh*t smeared on their faces or something....

I see they have sold out Whelans in Dublin they seen to be making huge progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Does anyone know if they intend releasing an actual c.d. as opposed to downloadable tracks?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they would/should/will, take advantage of the good momentum built up.......

pigtown wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they intend releasing an actual c.d. as opposed to downloadable tracks?

They sell an E.P. (4 songs) for €5 at all of their gigs.

Rumours of a full album in the spring. I don't know how happy they are with their newer original stuff yet but most of the songs sounded decent enough in the Curragower last Sunday.

Check out a band called Trample by Turtles

They seem to be doing very good for what i have ever seen are a cover band,must be annoyinng to all the other hard working bands around
    3rd sold out gig in a row in Dublin,Electric Picnic,Croke Park,radio play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

While they became known through their covers, their original stuff is good too. I really like Live On.

They seem to be doing very good for what i have ever seen are a cover band,must be annoyinng to all the other hard working bands around
    3rd sold out gig in a row in Dublin,Electric Picnic,Croke Park,radio play

Seem to be using their contacts well, and why not! Good on them.

It's eventually going to come down to the music, the original music, not the covers. If this holds up and they ditch the covers stuff, then good on them, they'll last the pace.

When the looks fade ;);):):) the original tunes will still hold up...

That's all you can ask for.

Worst case scenario, they could make great money on the covers circuit anyways. (which they are currently)

Anyone else in Aubars tonight? :pac:

10 euro to see them in Dolans tonight i decided not to go,but tghey don't seem to be playing any free gigs in Limerick over xmas

Hope they are in Cholessys or Curragower over the xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

They play mainly origionals now with a few covers and trad to fill out their set. They have taken the decission to pull back from the pub scene and concentrate on music venues but they still play the curragower every sunday.

• Advertisement

I've been following them since January or February, but tonight will be the first time I've paid to see them. Looking forward to seeing what they can do with a proper stage and sound system.

Advertisement