Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for place to live in Auckland

Options
  • 24-06-2011 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ive been offered a contract in Auckland with my current Aus employer which I am probably taking. As part of the relocation, they are putting me up for a week while I look for accommodation, which is nice. Im looking at trademe and have kinda highlighted a few areas I like. Figure i’ll pay a little extra to be near the beach, Mission bay, Kohi area but not limited to these places. Work near sky tower thing. I’m wondering, in your wise opinions, what would be the best way to go about finding a place in such little time?
    Should I…
    Contact letting companies with my requirements, eg, 1 bed, this area, this much etc? If so, who would you recommend?

Identify a few places rock over with appointments made and hope for the best.

Backpacker is not really something I wanna do, as in not all. Will be starting work straight away so just no!

Also, where do you look for shared accommodation. Trying for a place on my own but shared could be an option.

Thoughts?

Cheers
    Karl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Hi Karl,

The best place to find shared accomodation would be on TradeMe.

If you want to go it alone, this website would be your best bet http://www.realestate.co.nz/rental/all/auckland.

Just be aware that if your rent through a letting agency, you will have to pay them a letting fee which is usually 1 weeks rent and you will have to pay a bond which is usually 3-4 weeks rent and one or two weeks rent up front so it's expensive enough starting up. You will get the bond back once the apartment is in good condition when you are leaving.
    Most viewings are during the day (working hours) so you will need to have a few days free to go around and see the places.

Hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Thanks mate. I had a look at trade me and its only outright rentals. Maybe im useless at the search but i cant find shared acc!!
    Cheers for the heads up about the renting stuff. Im aware of how it works. Lived in Qtown for a bit. Sucks really that WE have to pay the letting agent!! WTF is that about!!
    Ill check out the realestate site.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Hi again,
    If you go to the TradeMe site and on the opening page there should be an option 'Flatmates Wanted', that's where you'll find all the shared accomodation :)

Ah now I see. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 J4mie

Friend of mine from Belfast has just bought a house and is looking for flatmates, see here:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Flatmates-wanted/auction-386305283.htm

Very nice guy with lots of hobbies and very social, could be a great way to get to know Akl.

• Advertisement

J4mie wrote: »
    Friend of mine from Belfast has just bought a house and is looking for flatmates, see here:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Flatmates-wanted/auction-386305283.htm

Very nice guy with lots of hobbies and very social, could be a great way to get to know Akl.
    Hey, thanks for the link but not moving over that soon, probably another 6 weeks or so.
    Cheets

Advertisement