Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro to Sterling

Options
  • 24-06-2011 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am wondering what's the best option: I'm going over to Uk for a couple of days holidays, is it better to change my money here before i go or use my debit card over there and withdraw cash?

If it's better to do it here, who has the best value at the moment?

Thanks
    Moggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I have always found I get better rates when I lodge money into my credit card and withdraw it when I'm in the foreign country.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Just on that make sure the credit card company don't apply cash advance fees to each transaction.

AIB don't as far as I know, but NIB charge even when the card is in credit. I think the newer AIB cards do charge 'click' so just make sure before you load the card.

It is one of the best options to use a credit card, all providing there is no advance fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Use you debit card. That way you wont have to worry about cash advance fees.

Another thing is if you put money on a credit card it is not covered if the card is stolen. So if the card is in a plus that money won't be covered.

Some banks do charge. Ulster Bank don't if you use an RBS or NatWest bank machine. Other banks charge a fee for debit cards / atm cards too.

Jet Black wrote: »
    Use you debit card. That way you wont have to worry about cash advance fees.

Another thing is if you put money on a credit card it is not covered if the card is stolen. So if the card is in a plus that money won't be covered.

There's no advance fees on any credit cards I know where you've lodged your own money and are then withdrawing it. As long as it's you're own money there really should be no advance fees.

• Advertisement

National Irish Bank charge €2 even when the account is in credit.

I accidentally paid the balance and it came out by direct debit so I took the duplicate amount back to the current account and was charged €2 - its also in their brochure.

***stards

Glad I'm with AIB for once.

Yep cheap skates. Went into them and they said no. Very tight and its like this 'unlimited' term on data etc.

How they can 'advance' me my own money I don't know, nor did they.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 manana

I withdrew 320 sterling from an ATM and it cost me 399 Euro which seems a bit steep. It was Barclays and it doesn't have any links with my bank , Ulster Bank, in Ireland ....that didn't help but it still seems high. I emailed Barclays branch in UK but got no reply.

Advertisement