Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting picture off N8/N82. How do u do it?

Options
  • 24-06-2011 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

@long_b: Sure it takes great pictures but I was struggling to get them off the damn thing without resorting to a cable.

How else would you do it. I never tried Blutooth. Have the dongle for PC but never installed it.

There was an app, from Nokia, called Home Media, I think it allowed sharing of folders PC/phone, might even have included wi-fi transfer.

I always use cable.

There are add-ons from "Furtive" for N82 that allow upload to Dropbox, and Picassa.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can just email them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Davy :Can just email them
    Never managed to Email a full size photo from phone, always had to resize them on the phone., have given up. Think even over
    wi-fi they (full-size )wouldn't go via email.

dohouch wrote: »
    Never managed to Email a full size photo from phone, always had to resize them on the phone., have given up. Think even over
    wi-fi they (full-size )wouldn't go via email.

Just take the memory card out and put it into the laptop/ card reader then.

You can overcome the email size problem using a different client, or you might if you go through the browser, but cant remember that one for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

That 'Home Media' app you mentioned was a firm favourite of mine when I had my N95-8GB too. Here's a couple of solutions I can think of to help you out...

1. Install Nokia Ovi Suite & then just sync photos, videos, music etc via bluetooth. Simple, easy to use & the option of backing up your entire phone contents to your computer is highly recommended. Get the software here free -->
    http://i.ovi.com/m/ovi/suite/index_en_uk.html

2. Get yourself a Dropbox account, the free option comes with 2GB online storage! Everybody should have one, it's revolutionised how I manage & share files from multiple devices. Sign up ere:
    http://www.dropbox.com

then get the free 'DropML' client for syncing files from your phone via Ovi store:
    http://store.ovi.com/content/113235

The rest, is child's play. You'll wonder how you ever coped without it!!:cool:

@djscubasteve: Do you have a highish spec. PC. I have no Ovi on my PC. The stuff runs like treacle

• Advertisement

It's pretty decent spec, yeah. But I too had the problems before of Ovi hanging & causing the whole system to freeze etc. :mad: The latest update version cures it though...

Alternatively, Nokia PC Suite will still allow you to access all the main functions you're looking for, it works perfectly with my N8 on my old XP laptop. That's probably the ideal solution for you altogether, having a less 'fancy' user interface, doesn't hog your system & has all the BT connectivity, file transfer, contacts backup features etc. Give it a try at least & let me know how you get on with it... :)

Here's the latest official release:
    [URL]http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_PC_Suite_eng_web.exe[/URL]

This could be a worthy candidate too, I've used it for the last week or so testing it out & it's been fine so far for me.

It's still only a beta version though so there's the odd bug to be ironed out before it's released officially but a very cool idea, interesting & original take on it...
    [URL]http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-drop/download_and_installation[/URL]

@djscubasteve: Do you have a highish spec. PC. I have no Ovi on my PC. The stuff runs like treacle

I have it running on a ten year old machine and it runs fine. It was poor on vista, but on W7 it works fine. I never get errors anymore doing backups, syncing photos music, contacts etc.

@djscubasteve:I suppose I get all the functionality I need just using the mass storage connection, and a reluctance to use/learn Nokia's lumbering PC software put me off 3 years ago. And I fear more lumbering software coming down the line from our friends in Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

@djscubasteve:I suppose I get all the functionality I need just using the mass storage connection, and a reluctance to use/learn Nokia's lumbering PC software put me off 3 years ago. And I fear more lumbering software coming down the line from our friends in Seattle.

Lol theres nothing to learn. Its so bog standard. Just lauch the suite. Click on the icon. Next next Next... If ya fancy doing the smallest bit of reading under icons as well makes it easy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I hate the Nokia software, its so slow and installs so much crud on your PC. I just put the phone on mass storage mode, connect and copy it off like a USB hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Have to say, OVI Suite works great and is very simple to use.

You could use SugarSync too, but you'll need to install both the S^3 and W7 client, and have an internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Easiest ways to get pics to a PC:

1. Send via bluetooth ( if your PC supports it -- All Apple Macs do)
    3. Email. My N8 definitely does not re-size images when you send them by email.
    2. Plug in via USB in Mass Storage mode, and the photos are there in "Images\Camera"

Other ways, if you were downloading in order to share it online:
    1. Molome application (like that Instagram app on iPhone. Also, like instagram it lets you ruin apply filters to your pictures before posting)
    2. Pixelpipe - post directly to Flickr, Facebook, Twitpic directly from tapping the "Share" icon on your photo gallery.

Bluetooth is very slow for transfers. using a cable or a card reader is vastly faster.

Well, I said "easy" not "fast". USB data rates slow down considerably when you don't have a cable ;)

KrisW wrote: »
    Well, I said "easy" not "fast". USB data rates slow down considerably when you don't have a cable ;)

True.

Is Bluetooth on the N8 not faster transferring data to pc/mac, with the right Bluetooth version on PC?MAc?

No, Bluetooth data rates are still lower than USB.

N8 to N8 transfers are very fast (but still not as fast as USB), but that's because both devices use Bluetooth 3.0, which is a bit faster than 2.0. I guess another BT3.0 device would be the same kind of speed: most PCs and phones are Bluetooth 2.x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

I installed the photosync app on my N8 and it uploads the images to my dropbox account automatically!!!

Advertisement