Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Gay People Be Allowed To Adopt?

1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What people don't seem to realise is that there are plenty of gay parents out there already. They have kids of all ages and no doubt their kids are well adjusted and happy as a child from a more traditional background. I doubt those children are growing up damaged or exposed to things they shouldn't. It just happens and everyone gets on with it. So those of you saying gay parents will be a bad influence look at those families living the reality of it and you'll probably find any of your arguments hold no weight at all.

eviltwin wrote: »
    What people don't seem to realise is that there are plenty of gay parents out there already. They have kids of all ages and no doubt their kids are well adjusted and happy as a child from a more traditional background. I doubt those children are growing up damaged or exposed to things they shouldn't. It just happens and everyone gets on with it. So those of you saying gay parents will be a bad influence look at those families living the reality of it and you'll probably find any of your arguments hold no weight at all.

We pointed that out already that some of us posters are not damaged, but apparently that just doesn't count

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

blacklilly wrote: »
    Im sure you wouldn't sway your opinion bases on the studies I have referenced showing that a child being raised by married parents benefits more than that of a child being raises by a single or co habitating couple??

I would not be swayed by any one or two studies at all. I try to read all the studies I can find on a subject and perform my own meta analysis of the results in order to come to the best conclusions. As you have seen there are also many studies establishing the contrary and even suggesting that lesbian parents might show the best results of all.

To which study do you refer however. I have to admit I do not recall you linking to one, though I tried to read every one linked to on this thread so far. Perhaps I read it I just can not remember which one it was. Can you remind me and I will give it a look.

Also as I said yesterday it is VERY bad form to compare married couples to gay couples directly given marriage is being denied gay people in may situations, so the report you refer to may not be comparing like to like here and so biasing the results. It is plain out of order to say "Group X is inferior because they do not have feature Y... a feature we are intentionally denying them". If indeed your study establishes that children are better off in marriages then this is an argument for gay marriage, NOT an argument against gay adoption.
    blacklilly wrote: »
    I can assure you I am not a fundamentalist just because I hold an opinion that you don't agree with doesn't mean I should be put into that category.

Nor did I put you in that category for holding a different opinion to me. Nor would I. I put you in that category for pre declaring your position immune to ever being changed. Totally different thing.

I hold and defend my own opinions a lot. I change them a lot too when the evidence suggests I should do so. I would likely never pre-declare that some position I hold can not be changed. To do so is to literally hold up a sign saying "I am close minded and will never be swayed".

Yet some people seem not only to do that, but to do it with some tone of pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm so glad on IDAHO day that our politicians in Ireland are moving beyond the bigotry like that displayed here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement