Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steal me?

• 24-06-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

They were talking on the radio today about a bike that is locked at stephens green with a camera, chainsaw, wire cutters and sign saying STEAL ME...apparently the lock company are very confident that their lock cant be broken and are asking people to try. Does anyone know anything about it, I didn't catch the name of the website that sells it, sounded like cheeky.com.

Anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chainsaw? Is it locked to a tree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I think they said it was locked to the railings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

lol if they left a working chainsaw out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

lol if they left a working chainsaw out and about.
    Maybe it was just a saw, was only half listening!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't know of any lock that can defeat an angle grinder (skip to 1:00)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't know of any lock that can defeat an angle grinder (skip to 1:00)

<snip video>
    Indeed, and the advent of the cheap cordless version makes locks/cables/railings/etc immaterial:
    164523.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Seems to be this site, and this is the lock:

lockoff11-544x388.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Crappy looking bike. Why would anyone bother?
    They have a live cam on it. Shall we go over and stick up a boards 410 sign beside it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Bit of a stupid looking lock. If I was a bike thief I'd vandalise your bike just for using it.

Seems to be this site, and this is the lock:

lockoff11-544x388.jpg
    Ridiculous looking yoke.
    This has to be a joke, doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It wouldn't really be genius marketing if they left tools that were actually capable of doing the job, would it?

milltown wrote: »
    It wouldn't really be genius marketing if they left tools that were actually capable of doing the job, would it?

I think someone in a boards jersey should rock up with an angle grinder, and cut the lock, then steal the webcam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

its not a real live cam feed, it just loops.
    flip that for a lock!

Provided the hacksaw they left had a decent blade in it, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to cut through the railings. Then carry the bike away (or peg into the back of a van) and remove the lock at your own convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I think someone in a boards jersey should rock up with an angle grinder, and cut the lock, then steal the webcam :)

Just steal the sign.
    Then it's just a bike locked to the railings. /marketing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Steal the tools provided, probably the only part of the whole gig worth anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The webcam is almost hypnotic. What will happen next? Ooh, someone just walked by!

I'm nearly of a mind to drop over to this and use the bolt cutters on the chain connecting the bolt cutters to the fence... nearly.

I'll be sure to do the boardsie wave if I do go to the bike. Keep your peepers peeled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Damn firewall - can't see the image from the webcam,

but if the kit is there, cut the railings and nick them- you'll get over a grand for a tonne of the stuff - http://www.leorec.co.uk/gates_railings.htm - and you don't need to invest in the tools required:)

Actually, maybe if we just moved the sign a bit and pointed the camera at the new sign location it could strike a minor blow for anarchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This seems kinda stupid. The lock doesn't need to be completely unbreakable, it just needs to be more unbreakable than the lock on the bike beside it (with caveats, of course).

• Advertisement

woah, hold up there a second, I've just seen the same bit of footage repeated... something fishy going on here... damn you keanu reeves and your tricky bus rescuing hijinks! <punches detonator button fruitlessly>

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I'm leaving for lunch at 1. Should pass this around 1.10. Might stop and wave hello.

Grey jeans, white shirt, blue peugeot. Hypnotically handsome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Rovi wrote: »
    Indeed, and the advent of the cheap cordless version makes locks/cables/railings/etc immaterial:
    164523.jpg

Cordless angle grinders typically do not have the same power as wired ones. It would be interesting to see how quickly a cordless one would cut through a decent lock but it's likely to take longer than its wired equivalent (perhaps not much longer for the better, more expensive, cordless models). The quality of the cutting disc counts for a lot too, perhaps more than the motor in some cases, and good quality discs are not cheap. Any of the better lock reviews that I have read have tested locks with mini cordless angle grinders where the cutting disc and/or battery often die before the lock - the assumption is that a typical bike thief will not carry around a full sized angle grinder with them.

Oh, and that's not a cheap one that you show there :)

doozerie wrote: »
    Cordless angle grinders typically do not have the same power as wired ones. It would be interesting to see how quickly a cordless one would cut through a decent lock but it's likely to take longer than its wired equivalent (perhaps not much longer for the better, more expensive, cordless models). The quality of the cutting disc counts for a lot too, perhaps more than the motor in some cases, and good quality discs are not cheap. Any of the better lock reviews that I have read have tested locks with mini cordless angle grinders where the cutting disc and/or battery often die before the lock - the assumption is that a typical bike thief will not carry around a full sized angle grinder with them.

Oh, and that's not a cheap one that you show there :)
    Ah I know, it was just a handy sized picture by way of illustration.
    I use both wired and cordless mini-grinders (mostly Bosch), and the 18V cordless is by far my favourite. With a decent 1mm cutting disc and a fully charged battery, I'd be pretty sure it'd easily deal with any bike lock I've ever seen.
    Angle grinders are noisy and highly visible though (showers of sparks!), so they're not exactly discrete when in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Are the wheels any good?

Anyone need a new saddle?

Would love to go and strip the thing bare!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Rovi wrote: »
    Provided the hacksaw they left had a decent blade in it, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to cut through the railings. Then carry the bike away (or peg into the back of a van) and remove the lock at your own convenience.

So is this you at 1:01 then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqJ39H_DK-o

studiorat wrote: »
    Are the wheels any good?

Anyone need a new saddle?

Would love to go and strip the thing bare!!

That was my thought... you could quickly strip it, and as the sign says 'steal me' it's perfectly legit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

check_six wrote: »
    woah, hold up there a second, I've just seen the same bit of footage repeated... something fishy going on here... damn you keanu reeves and your tricky bus rescuing hijinks! <punches detonator button fruitlessly>

It's an animation/prerecorded video, not a live webcam stream. If you reload the page and watch for 15 secs a few times you get the ultimate case of deja vu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

That look looks awful big, bulky and heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Is that first guy on the video Wayne Rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

dnme wrote: »
    That look looks awful big, bulky and heavy.
    and juvenile*

(*and I'm pretty juvenile myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

If that feed is live then its the middle of the night in Dublin right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Wouldn't the design make it more likely for a thief to say well f*ck you too and cut you tires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Was hoping that it was a topic about someone who had the guts to use a Planet X for the experiment. Looks like too much effort for that bike. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

doozerie wrote: »
    Cordless angle grinders typically do not have the same power as wired ones.
    _39342766_anglegrinderman3_203.jpg
    Angle-grinder Man - a self-proclaimed superhero - patrols by night

But anglegrinderman.org is down :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 feinbein

Advertisement