Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage obsessions with celebs

Options
  • 24-06-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Looking for some suggestions and advice here if that's okay.

Firstly, I am not talking about boyband/Justin Bieber crushes, which may range from anything form posters, taping every last second they on on telly, whatever...nor I am talking about children who genuinely have a rare and beautiful singing/dancing/musical talent and destined for a scholarship..

I am talking about children and teens obsessions with the WAG/footballer lifetstyle, and the illusion that being a model/singer/actress is 'meant to be' and 'I'll get there no matter who gets in my way' attitude...the nonsense we see on Xfactor etc...

I don't like those magazines/TV shows that show this Katie Price/The Saturdays/The Only Way is Essex lifestyle as a 'right'.. nor do I encourage them. I am curious as a family member asked me about how to avoid the pitfalls with her own daughter, and I'd really love to help, as I am no expert in this!!

I understand a lot is to do with early and childhood parenting, self esteem, self confidence etc, but how do we get through to the teens who have gone almost too far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Well tbh, only a select few are ever gonna get famous and so the likelihood of ever achieving celebrity status is pretty tiny. Therefore, if a child wants the lifestyle that a celebrity has, i.e. can go clothes shopping a lot, can go on holidays regularly, can drive a nice car, have a nice house, etc. then they need to work hard in school to get a good job which pays well.

And as for looking up to the likes of WAGs, Katie Price, those Essex people on the TV show, well I'd point out all the crap that they have to endure - a lot of those WAGs deal with cheating husbands / girls throwing themselves at their husbands/boyfriends, as for Katie Price - well she's a mess, I don't watch the Essex TV show so I can't comment on that.

If a child has a genuine talent and is a star in the making, then they will get there. But this obsession with just being "famous" is ridiculous. Also point out how horrible it is dealing with paparazzi etc - 30 photographers in your face when you are trying to go walk the dog or whatever. So if they wanna be rich, get a good job. They can buy their own nice things then without having to rely on anybody to buy it for them. If they want fame, talk to them about all the pitfalls, invasion of privacy, etc. I'm sure they'd rather be rich and able to go under the radar, than be rich and famous (if it's just about the money).

Advertisement