Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connected to Network but not to internet?

Options
  • 24-06-2011 11:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

Hi Guys,

In our house there are 4 laptop users connected to UPC internet.
    Last Saturday, I was on wireless internet and then I lost connectivity to the internet but not to the network.
    Funny thing is that all the other users can still connect to the internet. Aswell as this, I took my laptop tp work and I could connect to the wireless internet no problem, although its not a UPC provider.

I have tried connect via the internet cable but that only connects to the network aswell. I called UPC and they were of little help given that there was no issue with the internet and that I couldnt even connect via the internet cable. Instead, they gave me a number to call at a rate of 95 cent a minute, which is ridiculous.

Id really appreciate any advise anyone has to offer.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

I'm having the same problem OP. house sitting this week, and last night i connected to the UPC wifi no problem. today for some reason, i am connected to the network but can't open any web pages. tried rebooting laptop numerous times and same with the router but it made no difference. really frustrating.

don't suppose it makes a difference but is your laptop a mac? mine is. if you've since found a solution please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

I've seen this problem happen various times with UPC in many locations. It definately seems to be a network problem.

Last time it happened I logged into the router and noticed it wasn't getting an upload/download lock from the network.

Short answer : Nothing you can do really but wait it out, if restarting all the hardware hasnt fixed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 DJL292

Mine is a Dell not a Mac.
    What I did was go to system restore, and restored my computer back to a date and time well before I lost connectivity with the internet. Then I shut down my laptop and started it up again and hey presto, I had internet.

Im sure its the IP address thats at fault, it somehow changes IP address.

This should work on Mac aswell, but obviously different menus.

Let me know if it work, it has for me

Advertisement